Trepanning Job? Not sure

I’d be using an annular cutter and cleaning up with boring bar. I can’t imagine trepaning that deep.

Pretty much done.
Have you ever done anything stupid?
I was reading through the instructions and what should I find?
”””, The 4.25” OD head collar was made from a 3” threaded pipe coupling, simply boring out the internal threads to 3.75” will yield just the right sized material for the collar””.
You know, the one I spent half a morning boring out. !(note to self, read first)

This thing rocks! It’s very smooth and easy. My wife used it with a big smile on her pretty face :).
Congrats on completing it. Next time, read the fine manual :) RTFM.

Price of annular cutter that cuts about 2 inch deep 2.1/4 dia seems to be over 300 dollars. And if I remember I broke a few of them setting them up. I did not check price of bigger ones. But that would be costly for cutting 1 piece. Some where in my stash I have a brand new one around 3 inch dia. That I bought about 30 years ago. But you still have to have a lathe with lots of power.
Jimsehr

Price of annular cutter that cuts about 2 inch deep 2.1/4 dia seems to be over 300 dollars. And if I remember I broke a few of them setting them up. I did not check price of bigger ones. But that would be costly for cutting 1 piece. Some where in my stash I have a brand new one around 3 inch dia. That I bought about 30 years ago. But you still have to have a lathe with lots of power.
Jimsehr

Works fine on my PM1340 with power to spare provided the tailstock is properly aligned.

Works fine on my PM1340 with power to spare provided the tailstock is properly aligned.
Dave
Have you checked cost of annular cutter to cut over 3 inch dia part? Even if you have no problem cutting with it? For 1 part?

Pretty much done.
Have you ever done anything stupid?
I was reading through the instructions and what should I find?
”””, The 4.25” OD head collar was made from a 3” threaded pipe coupling, simply boring out the internal threads to 3.75” will yield just the right sized material for the collar””.
You know, the one I spent half a morning boring out. !(note to self, read first)

This thing rocks! It’s very smooth and easy. My wife used it with a big smile on her pretty face :).

Is this from some plans of some sort?

Dave
Have you checked cost of annular cutter to cut over 3 inch dia part? Even if you have no problem cutting with it? For 1 part?
It's David - Dave is my dad. I have carbide tipped annular cutters in 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, and 2.375". Each one I purchased for use on a single job for about $70, but have found them useful on many other jobs that have come up downstream. Being able to slug out a large diameter hole in material as a first step toward a larger boring operation (on either the lathe or mill) is a very common occurrence - at least in my shop. This is where an annular cutter saves a lot of time and wasted material. I don't own a 3" annular cutter because they are too expensive. So if I were needing a 3" diameter hole, I would use the 2.375" annular cutter, be rewarded with a slug I could use on some other project, then I would bore to the finished diameter. That's a lot less time and wasted material than using a small diameter twist drill and boring from there. But to each their own.

David
I’m sorry I called you Dave.
But as a guy who has trepanned production runs of parts and saw how hard it was to get the set ups working right I try to warn home shop guys about possible
pit falls and high costs of tooling that you might only use one time In your life. Plus the slug remaining after you trepan a part is about a half inch smaller then od of annular cutter. I trepanned thousands of parts out of 52100 tool steel and hundreds of parts out of 17-4/ stainless steel. And lots of 17-4 SS up to about 10 inch dia. Where no one made annular cutters that size. we junked the slugs from most of the smaller trepanned parts but the bigger slugs from the 17-4 stainless we saved as we had material certs and used for other parts.

No apology necessary. And I understand and respect your very experienced point of view. Trepanning has its place and is certainly a good strategy in selected circumstances - particularly In skilled production. That said, lots of home hobbyists are thwarted by simply parting off materials at depths over half an inch. This forum is filled with posts extolling fears and bad experiences with parting operations. And deep trepanning operations require even more skill and experience, not to mention the specialized tooling geometry required. So, it’s from this perspective that I bring up the alternative of a $70 two-inch annular cutter as a worthy investment for a fast and effective means of beginning a hole making operation on the lathe. There are lots of ways to skin this cat, including trepanning if you have the requisite skills and tooling.

Back