Transfer Punches

This is an interesting transfer punch set I picked up several years ago. They expand to fit the hole, any size from 1/4" to 11/16". They were made by Kelly Tool & Mfg Co. of Los Angeles, Calif. and originally sold by Dvorak Machinery Co, of Oak Park, Illinois. I have no idea how old they are, maybe 50 years(?). I could not find a record for either Kelly or Dvorak using a web search. They were quite rusty when I got them, and this is a good example of what a little time and some Evaporust can do for rusty tools. These transfer punches are no doubt even more fragile than the import ones, but truth be known, I haven't even tried to use them yet. Clearance holes have no hard standard, so transfer punches usually do not fit the hole anyway unless you bore or ream it to fit or are just lucky. These Kelly Tool punches are a good idea because they adjust to the actual size of the hole.
View attachment 225809 View attachment 225810 View attachment 225811

I have a set like that branded Doall. The yellow label looks the same also but the box is plastic.

I've got a set from harborfreight that's been good so far I just make a light mark then use a regular punch to finish :)

I bought a Made in US set 10 years ago. Others in the shop had a laugh when they heard the price I paid compared to their cheap ones. I still have my complete set today while most other guys come to borrow my punches because theirs are long gone. To be honest tho, I use those punches with a brass hammer and gentle hits ( they are not drill bits they are punches). It might be te main reason why they still work great and fit in ther original stand)

Up until I was given a good usa set and the adjustable ones a couple years ago. I just made what I needed when needed. Very simple to make.

I picked up a cheap imperial set years ago and without abuse they still work fine. However, I would like to find an equivalent metric set for the times mine don't quite fit. I haven't found any yet.
-brino

I have both Import and Spellman. The import set, the steel is soft and the diameters are all over the place.
The USA Spellman set are hardened, accurate and will last a long time with proper use. I trust the USA Spellman set.
Note: Even the Spellman USA smaller diameter punches will have a slight bow. They are heat treated, but there is no problem
using them. I bought a vintage Spellman set on Ebay for $25.00 I want to get the metric and letter set. I buy them one at a time as I need them
from Mcmasters.

I'm in need of a transfer punch set.
I can buy a USA made 28 piece set for three times what an import set would cost.
Any opinions on import punches over US made ones? Is it worth the cost.
I have a Harbor Freight set that had 2 punches that were visually off center by quite a bit. They all might be out by some amount
HWF

Back