Transfer Punches

I'm in need of a transfer punch set.
I can buy a USA made 28 piece set for three times what an import set would cost.
Any opinions on import punches over US made ones? Is it worth the cost.

This is an interesting transfer punch set I picked up several years ago. They expand to fit the hole, any size from 1/4" to 11/16". They were made by Kelly Tool & Mfg Co. of Los Angeles, Calif. and originally sold by Dvorak Machinery Co, of Oak Park, Illinois. I have no idea how old they are, maybe 50 years(?). I could not find a record for either Kelly or Dvorak using a web search. They were quite rusty when I got them, and this is a good example of what a little time and some Evaporust can do for rusty tools. These transfer punches are no doubt even more fragile than the import ones, but truth be known, I haven't even tried to use them yet. Clearance holes have no hard standard, so transfer punches usually do not fit the hole anyway unless you bore or ream it to fit or are just lucky. These Kelly Tool punches are a good idea because they adjust to the actual size of the hole.
SAM_1613.JPG SAM_1614.JPG SAM_1616.JPG

When it comes to transfer punches, I do two things. First, a trick that I learned from my father-in-law (whom was a machinist) is take a center punch and tap on some place that won't show up on your work. If it goes in deep, then you are okay. The other thing is coat the metal with a dye or even a marker pen. Then press and a slight spin by hand, finish with a punch. I'm not going to claim how accurate this is. But for my purposes, it works for me.

Bob,
I've not heard of these before.
Cool stuff, and resolves the entire doesn't' fit question/problem.
Note: I've also used my through transfer punches as plug gages. Because of the limited range I end up mic-ing the gage and using them at the lathe and sneak up on a final bore after fitting the closest through punch.
These adjustables may not lend themselves well to this application. Regardless, they are better in other aspects. It appears that they are still offered by manufactures other than Davorak.
Cool.

Daryl

I have both imports and Spellmans punches and they both work fine when used lightly. Given that we need full sets of these things, imports make fiscal sense. However, check to see if the tool is straight. I had one import set with about half of them not being straight; that set went in the trash and I bought a Spellman set that day.

I have no idea how old they are, maybe 50 years(?)
I just noticed that Dvorak's phone number listed in the box is EStebrook 9-5188. For a Oak Park (Chicago), IL phone number I think that takes the age firmly beyond 50 years...

Bob,
I've not heard of these before.
Cool stuff, and resolves the entire doesn't' fit question/problem.
Note: I've also used my through transfer punches as plug gages. Because of the limited range I end up mic-ing the gage and using them at the lathe and sneak up on a final bore after fitting the closest through punch.
These adjustables may not lend themselves well to this application. Regardless, they are better in other aspects. It appears that they are still offered by manufactures other than Davorak.
Cool.

Daryl
Apparently mine are still available:
http://jadetiger.com/kellytool/products.html

I have a set of Enco brand I bought around 1980. I don't use them often, ,but when I do they are a life saver! I also have a collection Heimann screw transfer punches from 4-40 all the way to 3/4-10 too.

Well ....
Bought the expanding this morning.
I'm likely much better off to continue using my telescoping as gages.
However, I've certainly got in trouble with projects that are not fractional in the past. These will help avoid those headaches!
Thank you for the lead.

Daryl
MN

Kelly Tool lists several distributors, including McMaster-Carr:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#transfer-punches/=169xxih
The 3-piece set lists for $144.50. I guess you've earned a (belated) "You suck" for having acquired the full set!
I think I paid $30 for them, rusty -- some inside as well. Evaporust took care of the rust, but the internal cleaning up to like new took a couple hours of work and some head scratching on how to clean inside them without damaging or dimensionally changing anything.

Back