Transfer Punches

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm in need of a transfer punch set.
I can buy a USA made 28 piece set for three times what an import set would cost.
Any opinions on import punches over US made ones? Is it worth the cost.

I have a USA set made by Spellmaco. I have had it for about ten years. I use it a lot and have had no issues with it. I have learned that all you really need is a light hit with a small hammer to make a mark deep enough to pick up with a regular center punch to finish marking the hole location.

My Spellmans/Spellmaco came used off ebay. Decide if you need throughs or blind or both.
Please take note of Bob Korves observation. I've not used an import set.
I've heard they tend to be softer. Might not be true. Don't know.

Daryl
MN

I have an import set. For my limited use they are fine. I don't hit hard, and I follow with a regular punch after removing the pattern or part. I am certain they are a little softer than a high end USA made set, but only you can determine how much use you'll have for them.

I have an imported set and they have worked for me. Same observations and hints from above apply.

I'll go along with woodchucker and Randall.

Before I stumbled on a hot price on a 1/2" to 1" set I turned collars to bush out the 1/2" to the needed diameter. Worked well for a very long time.
All depends on the sizes you need.
I think I use my blind holes more. I haven't been able to justify Heimans (sp?).
Note these come in metric as well. Be sure you think you know what you need before spending $.

Daryl
MN

My Spellmans/Spellmaco came used off ebay. Decide if you need throughs or blind or both.
Please take note of Bob Korves observation. I've not used an import set.
I've heard they tend to be softer. Might not be true. Don't know.

Daryl
MN
They are definitely softer, and made of poorer metal, with poorer heat treating as well, which will very likely make them flatten or crumble with smaller hammer hits than higher quality ones. You gotta be more gentle with them or they will let you down. All transfer punches need some care in their use.

Back