Tramming the nod

The table should be Trammed without the Vice first. Get it as close to ZERO as possible. Then mount the vice the Vice and check that. If the vice is off then the vice needs to be repaired or replaced. Moving the quill up and down is not the proper way to Tram a machine!
Can you then shim the vice? Or just tram the vise if you are not milling on the table?

If you tram the back jaw of the vise using the spindle. Then tap a part down on parallels. You can be drilling and milling out of square with the bottom of the part if the vice jaw is not square with the bottom of the vice or with the table.
By tramming the table first then the vice by using the spindle Z you can detect either a problem with the vice back jaw being out of square or wear in the spindle.
On a knee mill make sure the knee is locked and the spindle lightly locked when tramming the table. I know many people tram their machines differently. But the way some do does not show problems that may arise when accuracy is important. For hobby use where a few thoussandths does not matter it is ok to tram any way you think is best for your situation.
I am a bit anal when it comes to tramming my machines as I only use a tenths indicator for everything. I don't even own an indicator in .0005 or .001 divisions.

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen, off for my 48 hr shift so it will be a couple of days. I can induce 0.0005 rock on the Y plane of the head, and 0.001-2 on the X with everything locked down. Total run out 0 on the outside, and sweeping to the inside is of the table is 0.003. From the center at 0 to the inside is 0.0015 to the outside is 0.001. I'll check back in a bit leaving for work. This is only off of the table.

Back