Tramming the nod

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Learning about tramming on my G0755 mill. My X-Y axis is/seems square at the table, and with the vice. If I put a stubby drill bit in the chuck upside down, and bring it into the vice jaws I can see that the nod is definitely off. I have used the dual dial indicators for the table, and a DTI when doing the vice. I did see the machinist square used, but read here that method was not in high favor, so do I need a cylindrical square? I have seen different opinions on shimming as well, and on what to use for that purpose. This is for garage personal use. Operator error may be in play here as well, but I think I'm getting better. I did read posts from here, and tried to go online also. Now I do not remember if I lock down the screws for the dove tail, so I have to go back, and recheck. Thank you

Ok, so you're eyeballs are more accurate than an indicator?
I hope I'm not giving that impression, but I may be making rookie mistakes. When I bring the spindal down I can see a light shadow between the vice, and the butt of the drill bit, It just does not look right. Now I'm looking for the right way to check the nod. Thank you

Use an indicator, just like the -X- axis. Just remember, if you are having to shim the foot, you might throw off the -X- axis, so check it along the way as you go to minimize the error. Otherwise you might end up just chasing the out of square surface and end up with many more shims than needed.

Disclaimer: I have not looked at your machine to give more specific advice.

Are you halving the numbers when you lightly tap the head up with your palm? Do you have a .0005" DTI?
Do you have precision 1 2 3 blocks/parallels? to use instead of the table surface?

Are you halving the numbers when you lightly tap the head up with your palm? Do you have a .0005" DTI?
Do you have precision 1 2 3 blocks/parallels? to use instead of the table surface?
I have not tried to manipulate the head while doing this, other than the X axis, yes on the blocks, and the DTI.

Back