Torn between two PM's

Personally, I would always decide to buy the better machine.

Having said that, I have a PM-25MV and I am 100% happy with it.

Ok Gentlemen ,

I was waiting for an act of God to help with the decision making, instead I'm going to ask for help here!
I'm going to purchase my first mill, I want to stick with 115v so I have narrowed it down to the PM-25MV & PM727V.
The reason for the mill, my hobby is gunsmithing so it will be a much needed & much more accurate drill press than I currently use and I will be able to finish small steel parts that get weld repairs. The uses will be endless!
I realize that the 727V has a few advantages , weight, hp(1 vs 1.5) & gearing which will undoubtedly (I think) be useful milling steel parts.
Whichever I decided on it will be ordered with the DRO option, no plans to ever go CNC.

So which will be best ? My only thought is that the PM-727V will be reaching for a pitchfork to scramble eggs!
Should I purchase the PM25 and use the money saved for tooling or a better vise or jump on the PM-727V with the thought that I grow into it and never look back?

I do pistolsmithing, and a little rifle work on occasion. I started with a Sherline lathe and mill and worked my up through various machines to those I have now.

My suggestion is to get the mill that gives you the most Y and Z axis travel as you oftentimes need as much as your machine can give you. The 8" the 727 gives you would be the absolute minimum I would consider. Were I buying a bench mill for pistol smithing I'd go with the 833 to get that 11" of Y-axis travel. Great quality mill, but it comes at a price. And this is just my opinion of course. :)

You want the most rigid machine you can fit/afford for gunsmithing work. I don't make tractor parts, but I do require good accuracy and sub-thou tolerances on some of the stuff I do.

Back