Torn between two PM's

Thank you all very much, I already emailed PM sales to be certain a crate with a shinny new PM-727V is ready to ship. I'll pull the trigger in the morning . I'm excited, kinda like Christmas only better!

Can't be sure but I think this has to a record for the fastest machine choice I've seen made on HM - 2 hours, 34 minutes! If you were on a fence it must have been a really narrow one and the guys pushed you over really fast!

Good luck with the 727. One day you'll be boring a precision hole with a boring head and will be just a few thou out. By speeding up the mill by 25-50 more rpm (without touching the depth of cut), you'll cut that thou or two off and come in dead on size. Variable speed on a mill is very good juju.

Can't be sure but I think this has to a record for the fastest machine choice I've seen made on HM - 2 hours, 34 minutes! If you were on a fence it must have been a really narrow one and the guys pushed you over really fast!

Good luck with the 727. One day you'll be boring a precision hole with a boring head and will be just a few thou out. By speeding up the mill by 25-50 more rpm (without touching the depth of cut), you'll cut that thou or two off and come in dead on size. Variable speed on a mill is very good juju.

Do I ever wish it was that easy , weeks maybe months of comparison shopping!
I just gave the fine members of this forum the opportunity to push me off the cliff! I must say, well done !

So what's the average delivery time for PM? I'm tired of waiting.
I'll be sure to post some photos when the big truck arrives:encourage:

It's always fun waiting for a new machine to arrive. We've all been through that but it is especially nice when we get to watch others go through it. The most fun part for us is that we will get you to buy stuff using your money; remember that I warned you about this. Watch out for two guys in particular - Darkzero and Higgite. Those guys are notorious! But don't worry ... I'll protect you by being the sweet voice of reason. ;)

Ha! You know what they say, the guy who points the finger is just as guilty if not more! Well ok, maybe that's not an actually saying but on this forum the shenanigans are real!

Looks like GTPI is new here, :welcome: to H-M BTW, so I'll let him settle in a bit before instigating anything. Ok maybe that won't happen as I love to instigate but I'll try! However I know the others won't hold back! :D

Looks like GTPI is new here, :welcome: to H-M BTW, so I'll let him settle in a bit before instigating anything. Ok maybe that won't happen as I love to instigate but I'll try! However I know the others won't hold back! :D

I rest my case!

I have a pm727m and love it so far, i like the 6 speed gear box and have not found it a hinderance at all yet. I broke mine down into 3 pieces, it was HEAVY.

I have a pm727m and love it so far, i like the 6 speed gear box and have not found it a hinderance at all yet. I broke mine down into 3 pieces, it was HEAVY.

Good to know
I gave the 727v a lot of thought and I'm pretty sure it will serve my needs perfectly
It's funny how "Bench top" make it sound like you can just flip it up on the current bench in your workshop!
I know this will present a bit of a challenge. I have considered this base to make moving possible when needed .

If anyone thinks this is a bad idea please explain.
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Bear-Crawl-Heavy-Duty-Mobile-Base/T28000

I used harbor freight moving dollies to get mine down a hill and into my basement. I lifted all three pieces up onto its homemade steel stand by myself, the actual colum isnt that heavy by itsself but the head and motor well lets just say it sucked lifting it off the floor and up onto the column. I didnt have enough head room for a lifting device of any kind. So, it was done the old fashion way, brute force. Wont do that again... ill cut a hole in the 1st floor and use a crane to lift it out if i ever have to move it again, i think some of my manhood is still laying on the basement floor. My 900lbs lathe was actually easier to move than this 600lb machine. If possibly GET HELP, i dont care if you have to pay for it.

GTPI - my mill is on the exact same base and it works great, once I put shims under the feet to level it relative to my floor.

Back