Torn between two PM's

GTPI

Registered
Registered
Ok Gentlemen ,

I was waiting for an act of God to help with the decision making, instead I'm going to ask for help here!
I'm going to purchase my first mill, I want to stick with 115v so I have narrowed it down to the PM-25MV & PM727V.
The reason for the mill, my hobby is gunsmithing so it will be a much needed & much more accurate drill press than I currently use and I will be able to finish small steel parts that get weld repairs. The uses will be endless!
I realize that the 727V has a few advantages , weight, hp(1 vs 1.5) & gearing which will undoubtedly (I think) be useful milling steel parts.
Whichever I decided on it will be ordered with the DRO option, no plans to ever go CNC.

So which will be best ? My only thought is that the PM-727V will be reaching for a pitchfork to scramble eggs!
Should I purchase the PM25 and use the money saved for tooling or a better vise or jump on the PM-727V with the thought that I grow into it and never look back?

I upgraded to a PM-727V from a G0704 (similar to the PM-25MV).

The 727V is a vastly more capable machine. In particular, it will easily drive slitting saws and annular cutters that the G0704 struggled with. The extra spindle-to-table distance has also come in handy on multiple occasions. The main downside is that 727V is too heavy to move around without an engine hoist or complete disassembly.

If you have the space and can afford the extra cost I’d say go for the 727V.

I have the Grizzly equivalent to the PM-932, I do not do gunsmithing, but I have never wished I had a smaller mill. Possibly rethink your 110 vs 220 decision.

I have the 727v and have no regrets. Pretty much in agreement with what jaek said. I bought mine with the cabinet and mounted it on a roller base that Grizzly sells. It has worked out well.

You move fast GTPI, jeez! I started a thread back in the middle of May about trying to decide which PM mill to buy, and I still haven't ordered! :D

Good luck with your purchase. The 727V looks like a nice machine. I really like the 6 geared step head combined with the variable speed control. Seems like a good setup.

I just bought a pm727m about a month ago and have been very happy so far. They are an excellent company to deal with.

I have the 727v and have no regrets. Pretty much in agreement with what jaek said. I bought mine with the cabinet and mounted it on a roller base that Grizzly sells. It has worked out well.
The roller base seems like a great idea, did you use the T28000 ? It's rated for 1200lbs.
Thanks

You move fast GTPI, jeez! I started a thread back in the middle of May about trying to decide which PM mill to buy, and I still haven't ordered! :D

Good luck with your purchase. The 727V looks like a nice machine. I really like the 6 geared step head combined with the variable speed control. Seems like a good setup.
HaHa! I do believe this was one of my fastest decisions, I just started by making a list of what was important for my purpose, I think the 727V will be a good fit.
Everyone here is very helpful, I'm glad I joined. The geared head along with the variable speed motor was a big point for me, I'll soon find out.

Grizzly now has more models than when I bought mine. I believe mine was rated for a 1000 lbs. but has worked out well ,

Back