Tormach Quality?

Well I sure hope the tormach machinist vice is decent.
The Tormach machinist vise is awesome, I have one and really like it. At 5", it is the perfect size for these machines. It is a rebadged Conquest mini-mag vise, which is made in the USA, and is just as good as a Kurt.

I also got a set of vise keys, resisted using them for the longest time (I am old school, and swept that vise every time I mounted it). I finally installed the vise keys, and like them, they do a good job of squaring up the vise and fit perfectly.

Their cnc vises? meh. Rebadged chinese vises probably similar to what you get from Shars, AFAIK. No personal experience, just reading other's input.

Plan to have a friend or two over so I will have them take some pics. When I moved my Bridgeport and other machines, I documented practically every stage of the process without the benefit of an assistant. I should start a new thread if theres folks interested in seeing it.

The machinist vise was the one I intended to buy for my new mill until a member here put a used Kurt 5" up for sale. I bought the Kurt. Nice vise, but I'm not sure it's any better than the one you're getting. But I saved a little bit because it's used. Still may end up with the Tormach someday so seeing some pics of one up close and personal would be a big help. :)

No, they only make the 4" and 6" any more.

Been humping all weekend uncrating and careful dis-assembly for the move sub-terra. My whole body is sore like im 90 yrs old.
I took a bazillion shots of all the wiring connections etc. to aid re-assembly. Really hated to have to take apart a brand spamking new machine but its the only option to get it down. While i have the table off i plan to inspect everything and wipe off the chi-com toxic waste schnizzle goo they call grease and re lube with way oil for assembly.
Once I get everything down I need to paint the wall behind were its going, run the piwer and re-assemble pc by pc. At the moment everything is in piles all over my basement..
Heres a few pics.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431878613.247865.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1431878670.813716.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431878689.663600.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431878783.180081.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1431878891.513295.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1431878914.213476.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431878959.296692.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1431879064.663591.jpg

Btw although its looks a bit sketchy, the lower cross tube of the gantry frame is securely blocked to the 2x10 which is anchored with lags to the rim joist of the house. The tube has about 1-1/2" overlap with the foundation so load is in shear. I figure if I can get a 2000 lb BP down, this little guy should be no prob

Back