Tooling and Surface finish

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hi, I’m a newb and I have been experimenting with tooling on my 12 x 36 Enco lathe. My issue is no matter what I use I’m always ending up with kind of a grooved cut and it is mainly noticeable if I try to polish the work after turning with sandpaper. Really makes the surface finish look like crap. I have tried high speed turning tools, even a horizontal shear. I have tried carbide inserts as well. What’s can I do to get a decent finish? Thanks in advance

With out seeing ithe tool it's hard to surmise, but it sounds like too sharp a point on the tool, and/or too fast a travel. I'm betting too sharp a point, try a more rounded nose

What Jeff said. Nose radius and/or feed speed.
There are some materials that just do not machine to a nice surface no matter what you do, like low carbon steel 1010 to 1018.

pics of the part and the tools used as well as speeds and feeds, will help us diagnose. otherwise we are guessing. The better the info the better the answer.

Mild steel can be hard to make a good finish on. The leaded steel will finish better. A file will smooth out the ridges. Then use sand paper.

I appreciate the input and I will get some pics together. Not exactly sure what the material is. Just some 2” bar stock I had laying around. Looked to be maybe cold rolled but I have nothing else to go off of

Check for worn bearings or play in the headstock, chipped drive gears, that sort of thing. Check for looseness in your compound and toolpost. I once had random grooves that were caused by a bad drive belt that had developed a "lump" that set up vibration in the headstock.

Yep, happens to everyone when they first start out. Keep at it, but a good file and sandpaper is your friend.

Check for worn bearings or play in the headstock, chipped drive gears, that sort of thing. Check for looseness in your compound and toolpost. I once had random grooves that were caused by a bad drive belt that had developed a "lump" that set up vibration in the headstock.
Highly unlikely, this is a beginner issue probably. And just needs a little basic troubleshooting before going to extremes of locating a problem.
This is a step far down the list.

I really appreciate all the help. I have checked for simple things, like spindle runout and all but all I see there is a couple tenths. This machine seems to be very accurate for its age. I have noticed a little taper and that could be related, I’m not sure. When I leveled the machine, I believe I leveled it in the wrong manor but since I have been told that I need to level it with the level on the cross slide. Gonna try that as well and see if it takes the twist out

I don't believe the finish is a result of leveling, and no you level the ways, not the carriage.

Back