Toolbox and random tool repair questions

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Could not find a section specific to toolboxes... If I missed it, moderator, please move this thread.

Kennedy toolbox that I got with the lathe. Started to clean it. You can see my first attempt at cleaning one of the latches.

IMG_2701.jpeg

IMG_2697.jpeg

While cleaning, I removed the bottom mat... turned out to be some sign that was cut to use as the bottom cover of the drawers... Flipped those and saw this...

IMG_2698.jpeg

All the drawers were empty, except for this one. Mix of Starrett and Lufkin tools...

IMG_2693.jpeg

So first question:

1. How do I remove the drawers?? There is no clip on the side like in some of the videos... EDIT - Never mind, looks like I need to find a thin flat long blade to slide inside the track to slide those out... will search for something that would fit in there...

IMG_2714.jpeg

Next...

2. Where can I get one of those bow springs to fix this divider? It is a Lufkin...

IMG_2694.jpeg

The tools cleaned up rather well...

IMG_2707.jpeg

These two dividers are Starrett... the rest of the tools are Lufkin...

IMG_2708.jpeg

And the next question:

3. What tool is this??

IMG_2712.jpeg

No. 3. loosten the knurled nut, remove the spacer, insert an ID mike (tubular, no handle. ) Use to reach inside hole to be miked.
Thank you!

BD9B5D1A-C270-4BF7-B18B-693CEEAF776F.jpeg

Last edited:
Repair would be highly unlikely to work/survive, welding not really possible and hardly worth the trouble, calipers come cheap on EB.

Repair would be highly unlikely to work/survive, welding not really possible and hardly worth the trouble, calipers come cheap on EB.
Yeah, welding it is not an option... that is why I was trying to see if those bow springs were available... Same divider in eBay is around 40.00...

Oh well...

Patience is a virtue on EB I have seen lots of things listed for big money, if you watch over time, you'll find a cheaper one, personally, I thing about $15 is the most that a caliper is worth. They are out there by the hundreds. You can sign up to watch for certain items/manufacturers and they will send you notices on newly listed items that fit your description.

Okay, I will do that. Thanks

I think you might have misunderstood, or maybe I did. Buy one just like it, take the spring off the cheap one and put it on the Starrett one, then throw the remains of the cheap one away.

OR

Make your own replacement spring.

Back