Tool Post Grinder -Making a new one...

I was concerned about the vibration issues when I decided to use that large motor. It wasn't my first choice but, I got sick & tired of searching for "the perfect motor" and just went with that big one. Amazingly, the grind quality out of the one I have is really awesome... Yes, I can feel a bit of vibration when I put my hand on the motor but, it's not very noticeable on the grinder head. I think the saving grace was the heavy aluminum support strut/brace. Aluminum was intentionally used for all the external chassis parts because, it's second only to cast iron in terms of absorbing vibration. -Lucky guess on my part.

I have looked at surface ground shafts under high magnification and it looks really, really nice. I cannot see any artifacts of vibration.

It really would be nice to find a better motor some day but, the one I have will be used until a more suitable one comes along.

BTW: I was thinking of "mass producing" those grinder heads and selling them here on the Classified section. I'll need to check into the "legalities" of that but, the idea is that a good donation from the proceeds would be given to this place to keep it running. Let me know if anyone might be interested in seeing the unit I made in the classified section...

Ray

Do you have vibration isolators (Dampners) between the motor and the mount plate? If not, and it were me, I would use them. They go a long way in stopping even minor vibration.

"Billy G"

Do you have vibration isolators (Dampners) between the motor and the mount plate? If not, and it were me, I would use them. They go a long way in stopping even minor vibration.

"Billy G"

That's a good idea and I'd try it. I don't seem to have a problem but you know what they say "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is". Anyhow, it does make sense and I'll do that next time I pull it off the shelf.

Ray

If you feel for the vibration I'll bet it is more at the lathe side of your mount. It is less rigid there than at the pivot point. The isolators will take care of that for the most part.

"Billy G"

I've been thinking about a TPG for a long time, especially for internal grinding. The thing that stops me is the thought of all that grit. The ways can be protected but what about the spindle?
I have a universal T&C grinder but it doesn't have any internal grinding facility. So, maybe what I should be designing is a small internal TPG grinder that could also mount on the T&C? Or, maybe just the T&C?
Ozzie

Back