Tool height

When I set up an AXA QCTP on a Grizzly 9x19 lathe, the existing stud was also too small. I made a new T nut, threaded for the larger stud. If a mill isn't available, a usable nut can be made on the lathe. Turn a disk larger than the diameter of the compound slot bottom and a neck on the disk with a diameter slightly smaller and a height slightly shorter than the top of the compound slot. Drill and tap for the stud. Remove the nut and trim two opposite sides to a width slightly less than the width of the bottom of the slot.

View attachment 473528
There is no T slot just a ~10MM stud pressed in from the bottom with a shoulder keeping it from pulling through. The stud that came with the holder is 0.5" threaded 1/2-20. and a T slot blank which I will not be using.

What size tooling are you using? I had the same issue with 12mm tooling, but 10mm was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10mm would probably work but I prefer using the 12mm tooling if possible.

Can you put a tapered center into the spindle? Have you tried putting a piece of stock in the lathe and using a scale between tool and stock ?
My compound tool post was also smaller . Rather than modify the compound , more work for me .
I made some nice fitting adapter for the bottom and a nice fitting chicago bolt for the top
What is holding the adaptor in?

On one QCTP install, I turned the OEM stud down to 8mm and threaded it. I drilled and threaded the 12mm stud from the AXA tool post to receive the modified OEM stud.

There is no T slot just a ~10MM stud pressed in from the bottom with a shoulder keeping it from pulling through. The stud that came with the holder is 0.5" threaded 1/2-20. and a T slot blank which I will not be using.
Same here

What is holding the adaptor in?
The QCTP body holds the lower adapter in. Then the bolt , internal threaded and out side dia very close fit to mounting hole , theres maybe -1/8 gap between the lower “bushing” and the mounting bolt.

10mm would probably work but I prefer using the 12mm tooling if possible.

Sure, I get that. I asked the same question on here as my lathe had the same problem. I switched to 10mm tooling as suggested but I will be milling the bottoms of my tool holders to enable me to use 12mm tooling as well. It might be worth trying the AXA XL holders as depending on how close to centre you are, the thinner bottom section of the XL holders will get you closer to centre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first solution to this was to chamfer the 2 front corners off the top slide, sit the qctp at a 45' angle then the tool holders would sit lower.
This allowed 1/2" tool bits and insert holders to be used but wouldnt allow the qctp to be rotated to set the tool tip to the angle required to cut but I just rotated the whole top slide to do this.
My second option which is in my opinion the better one is to remove the top slide completely and replace it with a solid plinth. This has the added advantage of making the whole setup far more rigid. Parting becomes a joy not a challenge and threading at 90' is not a problem with sharp tool bits.

Drilled and taped the compound for M14-1.5 and mounted the holder today. found the tool too high as expected . Milled the holder to bring the tool down.

Attachments

• IMG_1786 (1).jpg
    IMG_1786 (1).jpg
    24 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1791.jpg
    IMG_1791.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1789.jpg
    IMG_1789.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 6
Back