Tool height

@trainman2 You might have to take a leaf from the 4-ways user's book... remove metal from the bottom of the tool, not the holder. I set up all my 4-way tools so that they are always on centre without shimming. works as fast as a QCTP. BTW I have about 7 QCTP over 3 lathes, so I'm not biased against them.

What size tooling are you using? I had the same issue with 12mm tooling, but 10mm was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like @G-ManBart I'm surprised that an AXA is too tall. Do you have a picture of it installed?
Attached is a picture of the holder sitting on the compound. I think the best way to make this work is the modify the tool holders (also the easiest)
The next problem is the mounting stud. The current one is too small. The option is to drill and tap the compound or machine a counter bore to slip/press one with a shoulder from the bottom?

Attachments

• IMG_1786.jpg
    IMG_1786.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 33
When I set up an AXA QCTP on a Grizzly 9x19 lathe, the existing stud was also too small. I made a new T nut, threaded for the larger stud. If a mill isn't available, a usable nut can be made on the lathe. Turn a disk larger than the diameter of the compound slot bottom and a neck on the disk with a diameter slightly smaller and a height slightly shorter than the top of the compound slot. Drill and tap for the stud. Remove the nut and trim two opposite sides to a width slightly less than the width of the bottom of the slot.

Tee Nut.JPG

Attached is a picture of the holder sitting on the compound. I think the best way to make this work is the modify the tool holders (also the easiest)
The next problem is the mounting stud. The current one is too small. The option is to drill and tap the compound or machine a counter bore to slip/press one with a shoulder from the bottom?

I’ve tried googling, but what size is the tool in this picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's probably six of one, half-dozen of the other, but you might consider removing material from the bottom of the tool, then your AXA holders would be the same as those on your larger lathe. That may not be an issue, but worth mentioning.

I'm not familiar with the way the compound is configured on those, but it appears different from what I'm used to. Could you make a sleeve for the bolt where it passes through the tool post? The bolt doesn't really add any side-to-side rigidity to the system, it's just there for downward compression between the tool post and the compound, so it shouldn't be a problem.

@trainman2 For detailed help it would be very helpful if you put the dimensions of the tools, the actual height below centre of the top of the compound, and (I might have missed it) the amount that you are too high.

Depending on these things, the answer might be very easy, or you might (as suggested above,) need a 0XA tool post, and its associated costs.

-- do you have the availability of a milling machine? This is how you would alter either the holders or the tools. If we are talking only .010 of fix, then changing the tool holders isn't a problem. For the interval of around .010-.030 I'd do the tools instead. For more than that, get the new tool post.

Can you put a tapered center into the spindle? Have you tried putting a piece of stock in the lathe and using a scale between tool and stock ?
My compound tool post was also smaller . Rather than modify the compound , more work for me .
I made some nice fitting adapter for the bottom and a nice fitting chicago bolt for the top

Attachments

• C3E24544-EF8E-49A9-BFED-FFE58B7DF4D2.jpeg
    C3E24544-EF8E-49A9-BFED-FFE58B7DF4D2.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 095B63CF-9125-434F-9C8F-AAE1B5038FAE.jpeg
    095B63CF-9125-434F-9C8F-AAE1B5038FAE.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 9659F25A-A0B2-4CB3-BD04-722AA8316413.jpeg
    9659F25A-A0B2-4CB3-BD04-722AA8316413.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 7D64AA9A-E759-4223-96F6-28DA23075651.jpeg
    7D64AA9A-E759-4223-96F6-28DA23075651.jpeg