Tool height

trainman2

Registered
Registered
I purchased a AXA QCTP for my 9X20 ENCO a while ago after installing on one my 12X36 but never installed it. The problem was that even at its lowest position the cutting tool was slightly above center. I thought about removing material from the top of the compound or modifying the tool holder. Also considering removing material from the bottom of the compound.
Any suggestions I see other people here with this combination were any modifications done to make it work?

I'm a little surprised that AXA was too big, but it's certainly possible. Most 9" lathes will work with AXA but what matters is the height from the top of the compound to center, not really the swing.

If you can return the AXA and get an OXA I think you'd be happier in the long run, but barring that I would modify the tool holders rather than the lathe.

Like @G-ManBart I'm surprised that an AXA is too tall. Do you have a picture of it installed?

What’s the height from the top of the compound to spindle centerline?

Other options include “XL” QC toolholders that have a thinner bottom support, 3/8” shank turnkng/facing tools, or both.

You might also need/want to replace the height adjuster stud with a longer set screw or piece of threaded rod.

I have posted about the AXA cutting tool height range (above compound) previously. There is a difference between brands. Have a look at the diagram in this post:

I too am surprised. The big question is, where is the problem.
I would not modify the compound. I just wouldn't do it.
As others have said, the XL holders have a thinner bottom.
For the existing holders you can modify the holder, remove some material on the bottom (not the slot), or remove some material on the bottom of your tool bits if they are indexable bits. If HSS just lower the grinds on the tip... unless it's Stellite, Tatung G or the like. they should not have a lot of material removed from their finished edges (their rules not mine).

I purchased a AXA QCTP for my 9X20 ENCO a while ago after installing on one my 12X36 but never installed it. The problem was that even at its lowest position the cutting tool was slightly above center. I thought about removing material from the top of the compound or modifying the tool holder. Also considering removing material from the bottom of the compound.
Any suggestions I see other people here with this combination were any modifications done to make it work?
The AXA should work great but does have limits.
Now hove my AXA on 8 to 12 lathe

Today on on mini lathe I just a compound for a smaller lathe and drill and tap 9/19" NF hole . 20231213_142720.jpg
FYI the tool I had buy today would cost more than the lathe
Dave

An AXA on a lathe with a 9" swing is iffy but as others have said, the bottom line is the distance from the top of the compound to the spindle centerline. If you are close but not quite there, you can look at other manufacturers of AXA tool holders. I have found Shars to be the most consistent in shelf height and to have the lowest height. The Shars 250-101 has a shelf height of about 430" and the 250-101 XL has a height of .409". Most no name AXA holders are .440+". I use 3/8" tools most of the time so height isn't an issue. For insert tooling, I use 12mm shank tools which buys me an extra .030"Add your tool shank height to get the total height which should be less than the height of the spindle above the compound. Another work around is to position the QCTP so the tool holder hangs over the side of the compound. Not the ideal solution but it will get you by.

I would not go to an OXA. They are considerably less rigid and you won't be able to use 1/2" tooling anyway so you're no better off.

I’m just new to all of this but I will just say this when I first got the AXA for my smithing 1220 I thought it was too big because I couldn’t get to height adjusted low enough. And as I fidled with it and fought with it and looked at it, I started to take it apart and when I loosen the quick change handle even more magically the tool holder dropped just a little bit. That’s when I decided to disassemble the tool head all the other pieces I took all the set screws out the lock nuts the adjusting knobs cleaned everything even better than I did before reassembled it and everything worked as it should. My second thought if you’re having trouble with your fit

In my mind, I’m thinking, if you’re willing to tackle machining your compound to make things fit, it should be real easy for you to machine the tool holders or even just shave the bottom of the tool itself but like I said, I’m very new to all this that’s just my thinking.

Last edited:
Back