Today's Take....

Well, I'm having second thoughts, I have to admit. I may go back and clean him out. He's saving me some special gear instruments, so I have to go back anyway, but he told me he's going to take whatever is left to the pawn shop, and that just doesn't sit well with me.

LOL.....he does! He's happy it's going to another machinist. And, in the interest of total disclosure, I know the guy. Not a long time, but long enough to call a friend. So it's not like I just stumbled onto some fellow getting ready to have a garage sale. He asked if I was interested in looking over some of his stuff he was going to sell, and of course you all can see what my answer was. And he's less than 5 miles from my shop. I told him he was welcome to come make chips any time, so that put a smile on his face too. It's in his blood, like so many of us after many years of chopping iron.

Now I have to find some use for all the P-type part off blades. I don't use them. I strictly use carbide inserts. I'm sure I'll find a lot of that stuff I won't use.

Great find, Tony! You can feel free to send anything that you won't use my way! :D Congrats.

Oh, I'm sure I will find more than I need on some stuff. I really don't use that much tool steel on the lathe, but there is a bunch of it, a lot of it new, USA, cobalt. Some of the cutters are specials, so kind of limited use but more of it is just standard stuff, taps and dies. I'll end up with 4 or more sets of parallels and mag bases, etc. Those I am undecided about. There are also a good number of P type parting tools. I'm not even sure I have a holder for them, having converted to inserted parting a long time ago. Honestly, the majority of the materials I work with don't cut all that well with HSS. Cobalt helps, but it can't beat carbide. I can see most of the HSS going away.

I just heard from him. The garage sale didn't do too well. One guy looked at the mics and asked what they were for. So now, I am negotiating a bulk purchase for whatever he has left. I am pretty sure I won't need or want any of it, or not much, so I'll put it up for sale. Might be some good bargains. ;)

Please let me know what and when...good chance I'll take some of it off of your hands.

Back