Toast .

Get outha there man!

It only took 10 days before they came begging me to come back as a part timer.
When this happens, just tell them that your base rate is $150 an hour, with a minimum of 20 hours per week. You'd be surprised how freeing it is to work for yourself. I thought that the company would balk at the pay rate, but they jumped at it.

When this happens, just tell them that your base rate is $150 an hour, with a minimum of 20 hours per week. You'd be surprised how freeing it is to work for yourself. I thought that the company would balk at the pay rate, but they jumped at it.

I like to think that this followed a conversation from an executive with the manager that let you go. "I don't care what it takes, get him back or your fired!".

I can't imagine that. My plant couldn't care less who quits. We are all imminently replaceable, and reminded of it as often as practicable.

I can't imagine that. My plant couldn't care less who quits. We are all imminently replaceable, and reminded of it as often as practicable.
This is what they teach in business school.
They called it TRIBAL KNOWLEDGE because some of the machine trade CANNOT be learned in a book or class.
When they ask me I told them there is nothing wrong with the machine, you need a SKILLED operator and then just stood there staring him in the face.
College is teaching people that only college educated people can manage people.
I have seen so many businesses crash because of the new college educated crowd.
There was a reason people WORKED there way up the ladder, they brought knowledge and experience with them.
Sorry......just a sore subject

Couldn't agree more. Within five years we will lose a cumulative 100+ years of tribal knowledge. 28 of it will be gone in two weeks. I know for a fact I haven't learned half of what they know, yet I'll be expected to figure it out. What a waste! We aren't allowed to work together unless the job takes a lift and basket. How much do you think I learned from the drivers seat of the lift? We aren't supposed to take meals together either, so any hope of learning what's going on with machines you didn't see today is out the window too. Lastly, we aren't supposed to talk at our benches when there are no breakdowns on the dispatch. We're supposed to "stay busy", but sometimes we're supposed to "hide". Once I was even reprimanded for reading a college level text book on programmable logic controllers. Not supposed to be reading on company time you know. As a former leader, I can see times and people when all of these rules would make sense. But not universally, and certainly not when the last "hiring event" landed you FOUR unskilled applicants. I oughta be getting back rubs between breakdowns! Haha! BUT... the paychecks never bounce. It's actually a good job. You just got me worked up. My boss isn't my favorite. Oh well. I break every one of those rules every single day. I'm lucky I'm not fired.

The paychecks never bounce.

You're lucky... I once worked for a company where on pay day, people would leave the premises once they had their check and dash to the bank to cash it, just to be sure that they had money to pay their bills. Sometimes, the last third didn't get any money because of "insufficient funds". Fun times!

You're lucky... I once worked for a company where on pay day, people would leave the premises once they had their check and dash to the bank to cash it, just to be sure that they had money to pay their bills. Sometimes, the last third didn't get any money because of "insufficient funds". Fun times!
I left a great paying job to come to work for a guy that was starting another company. I was to be VP of sales. So I gave notice, packed our home and moved. Two weeks after starting, my very first check, it bounced. I went into the owners office and there were a bunch of other employees there for the same reason. When I got into his office I asked for an explanation and restated what I had given up and spent to join him. He said he would get me my money, I told him he had exactly 2 hours, which the deadline was exactly 30 minutes before his closing. After that he would be calling an ambulance. I use to have a really bad temper back then.

My money was there when I got back. CASH! I had told him nothing else would do. He asked if I was going to stick around, about that time the secretary came in and told him that his primary supplier was on the phone and that all orders were cancelled until he paid them the 6 months back invoices he hadn't paid on.

I left and began to look for work elsewhere. Not the best of times, but we lived and moved on.

One of the things college *should* teach people is how to learn new skills, not just from books, but from real world situation. Start by finding out what works and why. Unfortunately arrogance is too often part of the higher education academic mindset, and while not necessarily an intentional part of the curriculum, it gets conveyed to the students who then take it into the workplace. Completely counter to useful skills. I’d like to propose a solution to that, but don’t really have one, otherthan to say a college degree seems to be overvalued as a checkbox without looking at an individual’s skills and aptitude, regardless of degrees.

Back