Time for a modern TIG machine. What do you like?

Homey ain't no clown!
You've had your hands in quite a few Syncro 250DX machines, is it possible to retrofit the pulse and wave features into the vanilla version?
This one is listed on FB marketplace. No pulser, I asked.

As usually happens when jumping in the deep end I don’t know what I don’t know. The Primeweld just slipped down the list and because it’s all analog. I could see how being able to save settings on something that seems to have almost infinite parameters would be very handy. Possibly necessary. The 225 has no memory, that makes both of us :(

AHP AlphaTIG 200. Very happy with it. Would buy again.

I got an AHP Alpha 200 for $850. I was nervous at first expecting it to quit any second but it's been a few years now and the machine has welded carbon steel, Stainless steel and aluminum with nary a complaint. I would buy one again (but I hope I won't have to)

I've had my AHP Alpha TIG 200 for about 5 years ($700 on Amazon) and think it's great! Before I got a wire feed it's all I used for everything. Welded the frame of my home made tractor with it and done much aluminum of all kinds and thicknesses. I did upgrade the pedal and now have a variety of torches for it.
Aaron

As usually happens when jumping in the deep end I don’t know what I don’t know. The Primeweld just slipped down the list and because it’s all analog. I could see how being able to save settings on something that seems to have almost infinite parameters would be very handy. Possibly necessary. The 225 has no memory, that makes both of us :(

This was a major plus for Miller for me, they have a very user friendly Autoset function, I just set my material, thickness, electrode size and gas, then it picks the correct settings for me which I can then tweak to preference. For some that would be a useless feature but as an inexperienced and only occasional welder that is a big plus. The welder still retains manual control.

Some of the other brands have a similar feature, but Miller seems to stand out in this area making their welders very beginner friendly. They come at a high purchase price though. I really pushed my budget when I bought mine, but at current prices I just wouldn't be able to justify the expense.

Things are changing rapidly, in 2019 there were basically 2 options for a MIG / AC-DC TIG / Stick welder, Miller and Esab, today there are many to pick from at a wide range of pricing. The imports have also really come into their own as well, far more acceptance now than a few years ago. Based on others opinions I limited myself to Hobart, Miller, Lincoln and Esab, today I would have been far more willing to consider one of the import brands. For years I wouldn't consider anything from HF that has a cord, so even I'm a bit surprised to admit there is a decent chance I'd give a HF welder a home if I was buying today.

My Syncrowave 250DX doesn't have any memory...just dials and two digital readouts. Memory is handy when you're doing repetitive tasks and having to switch between different setups, but that's about it. More often than not each project is different and you're going to make an educated guess, see what happens and adjust until you're happy.

In reality, for steel or stainless all you're changing on a regular basis is the amperage and maybe the post-flow. For aluminum you'll change amperage, maybe balance and post-flow. More often than not, the only thing I change is amperage.

I see AHP has been mentioned, and while I know a couple of people who own them and have had good luck, I would also advise against them. They're owned by the same people that own Everlast and are in the same building with a different suite number. Their customer service issues are just as bad as Everlast from what I've seen.

My Syncrowave 250DX doesn't have any memory...just dials and two digital readouts. Memory is handy when you're doing repetitive tasks and having to switch between different setups, but that's about it. More often than not each project is different and you're going to make an educated guess, see what happens and adjust until you're happy.
Bought an Everlast a couple years back. Intentionally picked a unit with knobs, without memory. Two things drove that.

1. I usually keep things forever, and I'm more likely to be able to fix a machine with potentiometers 10 years from now than a touch screen.
2. I hate digging 10 menu layers deep to change a simple setting. This one has all settings as analog knobs on the front panel. Quick and easy!

As for the argument about having a ton of memory settings being nice, it is. Right up until you can't remember what each preset was set for! (Programmable HT oven. Same problem with that!)

I suppose you could just keep a notebook on top of the machine (which is what I do). But then, you may as well just have an analog machine and a notebook anyway! lol!

(I guess it's official, I'm getting old and crusty... ;) )

Dan

Great info, but still all very daunting. Is the auto settings one any of these machines at all useful besides the Miller? i could see a good auto being as useful as a memory in that it would be a good starting place.

The HTP machines do not have auto settings, except for AC for aluminum (on the 301, 313, and 400; the 221 doesn't have auto anything). They have an Easy AC setting that locks out the adjustability: sets AC balance to 75%, AC Freq 100Hz, and equal amplitudes for EN & EP. For anything else, you better know what the heck you're doing. :)

What I like about the newer HTPs is that even though the screen options take you through a few screens, no feature is hidden to be able to access it. Yes there are a couple things that you have to hold down a couple buttons for a few seconds at a time, but that is more for recalling/storing jobs into the memory and things of that nature, not for accessing relatively important features. But if you know the ins-n-out's of TIG welding and know what you are doing and know what you want your settings at, accessing the important settings is relatively easy.

Last edited:
Great info, but still all very daunting. Is the auto settings one any of these machines at all useful besides the Miller? i could see a good auto being as useful as a memory in that it would be a good starting place.
I'm not a professional welder. I don't even play on on TV! lol.

In my (limited) experience, when learning to weld you are better off learning what each of the settings are and what they do. That is, it's more helpful long term to learn about the welding process and the appropriate settings than just hit a button and strike up and arc, then and see what happens. Auto settings might be nice, but once you have a feel for welding you're probably going to be tweaking them anyway.

I always knew welding was a skill. But after learning some, I have a lot more appreciation for what it takes to make a good weld. There are no shortcuts.

Dan

Back