Threading Question.

I usually use a nut unless I am looking for a very close fit for something that needs to be very accurate.

is there anything wrong with using a nut?

No, but you have to live with the tolerances of that particular nut.

The last time I made threads, I made a 1" x 10 to emulate the thread on my lathe spindle, checked both and found the spindle .012 under size. I was making an ER40 adapter and wanted a good fit on the spindle.

Tom

I personally don't recall using wires. I know how to but never did. I've used pitch gages and Go/No Go thread gages. I can see using wires when rebuilding machines where a custom thread fit is required.

I saw a YouTube video the other day of a CNC machinist/programer demonstrating a threading sub-routine. He used a standard off the shelf nut to test the finished thread. My old bosses would have fainted.
I just love technology when it works. Hope your day is a good one.

As I stated earlier. A nut is fine if you do not need the PD to be a close fit. If you are making something where the fit needs to have almost no slop or backlash then you would need either a gauge or pins to check PD.

I would use a hexagon threading die sometimes when I am almost down the finished dimension. By-the-way some of the round dies are adjustable, there will be a setscrew, so you can adjust the fit a little.

Standard nuts are slightly oversized. Probably for the plating.

One can also use home made wires. I used 3 carbide drill blanks to measure the PD on my lathe spindle when I made a couple backing plates for the lathe.
Pierre

I may have missed it but, is there anything wrong with using a nut if you have one the correct size and TPI to check?

Jim
No Jim, using a nut, or whatever you have with known threads that are the same as you are cutting is fine. However it is good to know these measuring methods that the other guys are referring to for the time when you are asked to make a part with threads to mate to a part that you don't have access to. Then, by using one of these measuring techniques you can be sure the part will fit. Happy machining, JR49

One other matter to consider when using a nut or even a plug gage you have no real way to know how close you are. As in the nut won't start I know it is to big but how much to big? so you either take many small cuts or risk over cutting. As a hobby guy and not doing a lot of work for others. nor being a machinist just a metal worker. I use a cheat of getting close then using a die. Yes I know I should be stoned. But I do have wires and played with them a little. but my work is never that critical. But I do respect the wisdom.

Back