Threading Question.

...That said, in 50 + on/off years of hobby machining I've managed well with out either and I do not put out junk sloppy jobs...

Can't argue with success, peace, brother :) ($79 for one inch thread micrometers, BTW.)

Last edited:
I agree and used wires + masking tape for years. I have a hereditary motor movement problem that causes severe tremors in both hands (it has gotten worse as I age). After dropping a wire three times before getting a measurement, I gave up and got thread micrometers :)
Sorry to hear that, I generally do largish work yet I still put a plastic tray across the ways with a clean rag in it under the part to be measured and still set free the occasional wire into the soup, fortunately large wires are relatively easy to find.

Randy, just food for thought, but there is a way to use a single wire. Just measure the actual major diameter and do a little math. Handling one wire is much easier than 3.

... I still put a plastic tray across the ways with a clean rag in it under the part to be measured and still set free the occasional wire into the soup...

I followed a similar practice: laying a white rag across the ways, held in place with a couple of magnets. But I sometimes even have problems typing, LOL, so thread mikes are now a necessity rather than just a convenience :)

(My own tremors are troublesome but my youngest sister, who has the same disease as me, makes her living designing and producing one-off custom jewelry. This is career ending as her tremors worsen.)

I have used modeling clay to stick those pesky buggars in place. I also have a set of thread triangles that have rubber retainer bands that fit over the micrometer spindle faces. Both can be aggravating at times.

Darrell

Randy, just food for thought, but there is a way to use a single wire. Just measure the actual major diameter and do a little math. Handling one wire is much easier than 3.

Tony, I don't think that I'd trust that method for precise measurements. You wouldn't be measuring the pitch diameter directly, you'd be measuring something like the differences in OD and PD. (The 3-wire method doesn't measure pitch diameter directly either but it's much closer and doesn't depend on the loose tolerances of the OD.)

Let's pick a thread as an example, say 5/16-18UNC-3A where tolerances are as follows:

O.D. .3038 to .3125 or a permissible variation of .0087
P.D. .2734 to .2764 or a permissible variation of only .0030

Since the O.D. can vary by almost .009 and still be within UNC-3B tolerances, it seems to me that a pitch diameter measurement based on the O.D. might measure/calculate to be within specification but in fact be considerably out of tolerance.

I sincerely appreciate your suggestion since it was clearly intended to alleviate my motor skill problems :) Thank you !

Tony, I completely misunderstood the above. You intended the single wire method to be made using measured OD, duh, not the limits of the thread tolerances. Dunno where my mind was but I apologize for the gross misconception and I'm going to look into that technique a little closer. Thank you again !

That's ok Randy. I had to demonstrate it more than a few time before I convinced a few people that it was adequate. I don't use that method for making or checking plug gages, but for product, it seems perfectly acceptable. It works.

I may have missed it but, is there anything wrong with using a nut if you have one the correct size and TPI to check?

Jim

Back