Threaded on 12" 3 jaw removal

Maybe a 2 x 4 against a jaw, hit with 5 lb hammer? Cant ruin a rotten egg.

Uh.....the floor......
You said the board in the pulley isn't tight and that you can wiggle the 2x4 by hand. It looks like a 4x4 rather than a 2x4, but if it's loose enough you can wiggle it by hand with all that weight on the wrench something doesn't make sense.

A little propane torch isn't going to put enough heat into all that cast iron to make any difference. Taking the chuck off so it's just the mass of the backing plate soaking up the heat might help...doubtful, but won't hurt.

Went through many of the same ideas here:

You said the board in the pulley isn't tight and that you can wiggle the 2x4 by hand. It looks like a 4x4 rather than a 2x4, but if it's loose enough you can wiggle it by hand with all that weight on the wrench something doesn't make sense.

A little propane torch isn't going to put enough heat into all that cast iron to make any difference. Taking the chuck off so it's just the mass of the backing plate soaking up the heat might help...doubtful, but won't hurt.

Went through many of the same ideas here:

Gear reduction is a thing. The lathe is set for 14 rpm. The pulley runs at 1150 rpm to achieve 14 rpm. The weight on that pulley is significantly less than the weight on the chuck. The pulley cannot turn but it is in no danger of breaking.

My crappy little propane torch got the chuck hot enough to boil out some of the grease in the chuck. It started to vaporize some of the penetrating oil in the threads. It's just not hot enough fast enough.

There is nothing for me to grab in the chuck that I can put 1000 ft lbs on. Then I cannot access the bore.

That jaw is over 1.25" thick of solid cast iron. It isn't moving or bending or twisting or deforming.
Just a piece of hex?

A collet block?

Just a piece of hex?

A collet block?

I might have 1/2" hex stock. Considering 1000 ft lbs of torque isn't doing much, I can say that anything I have to chuck up is going to be useless. The wrench on the jaw is 1 5/16". A 2" hex in the chuck would put the torque on the wrench up to 1000 ft lbs instead of a lower amount of force at the perimeter of the chuck.

Gear reduction is a thing. The lathe is set for 14 rpm. The pulley runs at 1150 rpm to achieve 14 rpm. The weight on that pulley is significantly less than the weight on the chuck. The pulley cannot turn but it is in no danger of breaking.

My crappy little propane torch got the chuck hot enough to boil out some of the grease in the chuck. It started to vaporize some of the penetrating oil in the threads. It's just not hot enough fast enough.
I know gear reduction is a thing, I just wasn't sure what you were saying.

That's what I was suggesting about propane. I don't think even a propane cutting torch would be able to put enough heat into something that large to get it hot enough to help. I tried a large oxyacetylene setup and even that didn't do it.

This is what victory looks like!

20240320_201835.jpg

This is how much heat a Bernzomatic can put out over time.

20240320_201952.jpg

So relieved. The face of the spindle where the backing plate contacts needs to be lightly trued. It is slightly mushroomed.

My Fairmount wrench is now a 1 3/8" opening to 1 7/16". I'll have to buy a new 1 5/16" to replace it. Lol.

I ended up pinching a 4x6 under one of the jaws stuck out about half way. Then I put a prybar into the pulley and used the gear reduction to finally break it loose.

20240320_202713.jpg

This is what victory looks like!

View attachment 483723

This is how much heat a Bernzomatic can put out over time.

View attachment 483724

So relieved. The face of the spindle where the backing plate contacts needs to be lightly trued. It is slightly mushroomed.

My Fairmount wrench is now a 1 3/8" opening to 1 7/16". I'll have to buy a new 1 5/16" to replace it. Lol.

I ended up pinching a 4x6 under one of the jaws stuck out about half way. Then I put a prybar into the pulley and used the gear reduction to finally break it loose.
Knew you would get it :)

Back