Threaded on 12" 3 jaw removal

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
She be stubborn. I just heated up the flange nice and hot for the second time. I'm spraying it with Free All because I've never found anything that eats rust better.

I put a wrench and pipe on a chuck jaw with a cheater pipe and nothing is budging except I'm turning the entire gear train.

I'm guessing it will take a few heat cycles to finally break it loose. I'm sure it's been on there longer than I've been alive. No evidence of a nasty crash.

Soak it like crazy, it may have been on there for decades
I would use the 50/50 sauce (atf and acetone)
Maybe some liquid wrench too
Rig up some kind of heat source. Whack moderately with a chunk of timber to set up vibrations- help the sauce penetrate
If you can, get a strap wrench around the bull gear and wedge against the headstock somewhere if possible
I've used large Ideal clamps with leather belts in between to protect the teeth

Last edited:
12”? Maybe a backhoe?

Soak it like crazy, it may have been on there for decades
I would use the 50/50 sauce (atf and acetone)
Maybe some liquid wrench too
Rig up some kind of heat source. Whack moderately with a chunk of timber to set up vibrations- help the sauce penetrate
If you can, get a strap wrench around the bull gear and wedge against the headstock somewhere if possible
I've used large Ideal clamps with leather belts in between to protect the teeth
I put a wrench on one of the jaws close to the outside diameter and rested the wrench against the taper attachment. Then I turned the main pulley backwards in the lowest gear. It didn't budge. Pretty crazy. I figured the torque would be insane.

Maybe it's pinned or something. I would investigate a bit more.

Detailed pictures? Maybe we can come up with some ideas with some visual reference.

Back