Threaded on 12" 3 jaw removal

I did the math on google.... that lever and 125 lbs of water is 500 lbs of torque. When I hang on it, that must easily go upwards of 1500 lbs of torque.

I'm going to go heat it up again.
If the arm was 4ft, and there was 125lbs, and the arm was level, it would be 500 ft-lbs. But the arm is not level, so the effective length of the arm is 4ft * cos(angle from horizontal). So the torque would be 4 ft * cos(angle) * 125 lbs, or 500 ft-lbs * cos(angle). It's still a decent amount of torque, add penetrating oil and let it sit a day or two.

I just heated it up the chuck adapter nice and hot. Kroil. 125 lbs of water hanging on a 3 foot lever.

Before anyone complains, the board in the pulley isn't tight. I can wiggle the 2x4 by hand.
I've tried all those things with a stuck chuck....generally a waste of time trying to use heat or penetrating fluid. There's so much mass that soaks up the heat, and it transfers to readily to make a difference. Years and years of wresting with stuck nuts/bolts/etc and I've largely stopped wasting time with penetrating fluid for stuff like this...it's not going to force its way between corrosion that's been there for decades.

If the board can move, what's keeping the pulley from turning?

Have you thought about pulling the Chuck, so you can view the spindle nose to backplate interface and/or to add some penetrating oil there too?

I've tried all those things with a stuck chuck....generally a waste of time trying to use heat or penetrating fluid. There's so much mass that soaks up the heat, and it transfers to readily to make a difference. Years and years of wresting with stuck nuts/bolts/etc and I've largely stopped wasting time with penetrating fluid for stuff like this...it's not going to force its way between corrosion that's been there for decades.

If the board can move, what's keeping the pulley from turning?
Uh.....the floor......

If that doesn't work, tomorrow or the next day, get yourself a can of CO2 or freeze spray for athletics. heat the outside of the chuck mount, then spray your freeze juice on the inside of the spindle while the weight is on it. it may take a few minutes for the cold to soak to the outside, and for the heat to expand the mount.

I don't like the idea of one jaw being torqued. Still like the idea of using something inside the jaws being tightened up on, and wrenching that. But we each make our own decisions. I wish you success. I had one real bad time on a 9" lathe, when I turned it on before the chuck was all the way on, and it hammered it on... took me a long time to get it off. That's when I learned from the group here about not using the back gears.

If that doesn't work, tomorrow or the next day, get yourself a can of CO2 or freeze spray for athletics. heat the outside of the chuck mount, then spray your freeze juice on the inside of the spindle while the weight is on it. it may take a few minutes for the cold to soak to the outside, and for the heat to expand the mount.

I don't like the idea of one jaw being torqued. Still like the idea of using something inside the jaws being tightened up on, and wrenching that. But we each make our own decisions. I wish you success. I had one real bad time on a 9" lathe, when I turned it on before the chuck was all the way on, and it hammered it on... took me a long time to get it off. That's when I learned from the group here about not using the back gears.

There is nothing for me to grab in the chuck that I can put 1000 ft lbs on. Then I cannot access the bore.

That jaw is over 1.25" thick of solid cast iron. It isn't moving or bending or twisting or deforming.

Back