Things are expensive

We are seeing $2.00 a liter for regular and 2.25 for diesel. So that is $6.10 USD for US Gallon and $6.80 for diesel. Everything has gone up and now with the interest rate going up houses are flatlined or down from their highs.

The other day I stopped at our local station because premium was about $0.20 a gallon less than the Chevron a couple blicks away. And, the local guy pumps the gas. I told him there were two things I never thought I would say: First is “Gas is six dollars a gallon!” Second is “And that’s a great price!”

Diesel was $6 a gallon and is now $5.65 after Md. took the tax off of it . The truck gets 10 mpg , towing or not . Put $125 in the other day and it brought me up to almost 3/4s tank . :grin: Burned it up moving equipment this week . My little Honda takes $60 to fill now , but it gets 38 mpg . It's my beater vehicle .

Yeah, none of it makes sense except just plain ‘ol greed. Last time oil was $115 a barrel gas was $3 something. Meanwhile the media just echoes “the highest inflation in 40yrs!” but forget the second half of the phrase “highest corporate profits in 70yrs!” Guess that wouldn’t make the owner class too happy.

Jeff - the price of diesel fuel in UK, converted to US gallon size, and currency, has been more than $7 per gallon for some time now. Since Ukraine war shenanigans, it's now up to $9 a gallon.

My dad was a chemical engineer and he explained to me how petroleum was a valuable resource needed for medicines and many other things. He was also a car guy and private pilot.

Prices for all commodities are regulated by supply and demand unless they are being subsidized, I don't like paying more but we're probably just closing in on the actual prices we should be paying.

John

Yeah, none of it makes sense except just plain ‘ol greed. Last time oil was $115 a barrel gas was $3 something. Meanwhile the media just echoes “the highest inflation in 40yrs!” but forget the second half of the phrase “highest corporate profits in 70yrs!” Guess that wouldn’t make the owner class too happy.

Don't want to get into politics here. This is an AP article about what's fueling inflation that you might find interesting:

My dad was a chemical engineer and he explained to me how petroleum was a valuable resource needed for medicines and many other things. He was also a car guy and private pilot.

Prices for all commodities are regulated by supply and demand unless they are being subsidized, I don't like paying more but we're probably just closing in on the actual prices we should be paying.

John
Without falling into a political quagmire, it is also important to acknowledge that energy, and oil are controlled by by relatively few large companies and organizations, including a cartel. Cartels, and big players tend to make their own rules, because they can. Yes, they can be influenced by world events like everyone else, but they can also manipulate supply for their own benefit. This is different from many other businesses.

Without falling into a political quagmire, it is also important to acknowledge that energy, and oil are controlled by by relatively few large companies and organizations, including a cartel. Cartels, and big players tend to make their own rules, because they can. Yes, they can be influenced by world events like everyone else, but they can also manipulate supply for their own benefit. This is different from many other businesses.
I know a cherry farmer who belongs to a cartel. He explained how they got together and set prices for all the growers and I was amazed that what he described was legal, it sure wouldn't have been for my business. But they had the power and got laws passed to make it happen.

Every time the farmers in our area dump cherries it causes massive fruit fly swarms and outrage from locals who don't understand what's going on.

John

Back