Things are expensive

The farms that are payed for and don’t have any debt should be ok. It’s a strange business. I will deliver the nuts to a broker processor in October. They take full title to the crop with no payment. Then 6 to 8 months later after they have sold out, they figure out what they want to pay you.

The farms that are payed for and don’t have any debt should be ok. It’s a strange business. I will deliver the nuts to a broker processor in October. They take full title to the crop with no payment. Then 6 to 8 months later after they have sold out, they figure out what they want to pay you.
That is just plain ‘ol nuts, pun intended.

A good buddy of mine bought a small walnut grove on the westside when life got too crazy in Modesto. He had never run into this style of doing biz before being a tech guy. He had a bumper crop but they said the nuts were “sunburned“ and were darker than usual. They tasted sweeter and had none of that bitter aftertaste that walnuts usually had and wanted him to pay them to get rid of them! Needless to say he only lasted 1 season but ended up selling for a profit. Guy just can’t lose $$ no matter what he does but definitely ruled farming out from there on.

Jeff are you pulling a trailer?

That is just plain ‘ol nuts, pun intended.

A good buddy of mine bought a small walnut grove on the westside when life got too crazy in Modesto. He had never run into this style of doing biz before being a tech guy. He had a bumper crop but they said the nuts were “sunburned“ and were darker than usual. They tasted sweeter and had none of that bitter aftertaste that walnuts usually had and wanted him to pay them to get rid of them! Needless to say he only lasted 1 season but ended up selling for a profit. Guy just can’t lose $$ no matter what he does but definitely ruled farming out from there on.
The smaller farmer are taken advantage of. One year a well known broker just decided he was only going to pay the smaller farms about half price. If that is not enough they try to play games with the grading as you described.

The smaller farmer are taken advantage of. One year a well known broker just decided he was only going to pay the smaller farms about half price. If that is not enough they try to play games with the grading as you described.
My grandparents were both farmers. My dad's were Portuguese dairymen, and my mom's an Okie row cropper in Dos Palos. They did ok because compared to the Depression and the Dust Bowl everything else was a breeze. Talk about tough, my Okie grandpa hopped a freight car to CA during the Dust Bowl. You never wanted to complain to him about how hard work was. He'd just give you that stare that would loosen your bowels and tell you how lucky you were to have a job. I learned self reliance and not tossing stuff from them.

CNC farming- just sit back and let the machines do the work, while you sit on the porch with a mai-tai
My brother bought a 1890's treadle lathe of a fella with a robot mower over the weekend , he said it was awesome (mower awesome, my brother said lathe awesome, both correct :) ).

Stu

I paid $7.09 for premium fuel a couple days ago. This was in Crescent City, Ca.

Yesterday I was tasked to buy ice and some peppers. An Anahiem pepper was $4.00 at Ray’s market in Bandon OR.

What’s happening?

We just retired. You know, fixed income and all.
Scares the hell out of me.
Jeff - the price of diesel fuel in UK, converted to US gallon size, and currency, has been more than $7 per gallon for some time now. Since Ukraine war shenanigans, it's now up to $9 a gallon.

Back