Things are expensive

And yes, back in the days natural gas was treated like a waste product from oil wells and was burned off at the site.
It still is on many small wells around here, where the economics don't favor collecting it. Although recent energy economics may see that change. And of course cattle & manure produce a large quantity that are definitely a "waste product" ;)

It still is on many small wells around here, where the economics don't favor collecting it. Although recent energy economics may see that change. And of course cattle & manure produce a large quantity that are definitely a "waste product" ;)
Me tooooooooo ...:faint:

Let me toss in some refinery chemistry. The GTL process converts natural gas to modern synthetic oils. When you buy synthetic oil, it was most likely was made by dealing with catalysts and fractionalizing natural gas to produce oil (yes, this is an oversimplification, but the full text would take two pages and encompass about 3600 patents).

And yes, back in the days natural gas was treated like a waste product from oil wells and was burned off at the site.

So, as long as we are using natural gas, we will have accesss to very high quality (high purity) synthetic oils, which outperform lubricating oils refined from crude oil.

*This includes the Mr. Wizard science moement for the day*
so Mr. Wizard, is there a danger to the future of oil/prices/lubricant's monopolies, if EV takes over at some point in the near or DISTANT future. I agree with rab, we are looking probably 10-20 years out. but is there the danger of un-intended consequences.

Without the heat from infernal consumption engines wont vegetable oils be sufficient for electric vehicles?

Without the heat from infernal consumption engines wont vegetable oils be sufficient for electric vehicles?
imagine the stink from rancid vegetable oils ...
I think they are going to use some lubes in some of the parts, and electronics.

Back