The South Bend heavy 9 Rebuild

Thanks Mike - I appreciate the commnts. I suspect you have a better understanding of the emonional attachment we talked about.

Rick

Rick,

Indeed I do understand your attachment to it.

I urge you to check the TIR (total indicated runout) by bringing a dial indicator to the inside of the spindle and hand turning it. I have a feeling you'll be surprised.

Please let me know what you find, okay?

Mike

Thanks Mike - I appreciate the commnts. I suspect you have a better understanding of the emonional attachment we talked about.

Rick

Nice video slideshow! Your work is as good as anybody's, that's a great looking south bend, it looks a lot like my heavy 10L. She's a beaut! Very nice of you to share it with us. I know you are as proud of your lathe as I am of mine. Our works on our machines should inspire others to do the same and save these great old machines from the scrap yards. I feel that I have preserved a piece of our industrial history. Like you I too had a medical set back that put my work on hold while I healed up, but we persevered and got em done! Congratulations on your accomplishments and fine work.

Rick,I might be late to the party,but did you get a replacement for your cross screw bushing? On my last trip to my parts supply I found a box with a bare Hvy 10 bushing.Let me know if you are still in need.Paul also had a NOS big dial cross screw assembly,but it was salty,if you know what I mean.--David

Great Video! I have just purchased a SB 9 Standard. Mine is in pretty good condition. I can't wait to tear into it...thanks for the impetus to get going!

Rick,I might be late to the party,but did you get a replacement for your cross screw bushing? On my last trip to my parts supply I found a box with a bare Hvy 10 bushing.Let me know if you are still in need.Paul also had a NOS big dial cross screw assembly,but it was salty,if you know what I mean.--David
David - I did get the parts i needed - actually a member on another forum completely rebuilt crossfeed screw and another made a nut. Thanks anyway.

BTW - still working n the other thing.

Rick

Back