The Pm 1228 Vf-lb Arrives Today

I just got my PM 1228 last Thursday and have been cleaning it and setting things up. I had GFCI problems with tripping, solved that by replacing the GFCI. Today I calibrated my machinist level and worked on leveling the beast on the PM stand . I knew it would be frustrating and after a few hours in a cold garage I gave up. Got it to +/- 002.5" level side to side on the ways. Measured that with a feeler gauge under the level (what was needed under the low side to bring it to read level), I did not bother with the log axis level as most folks say it doesn't matter)

I am waiting for replacement part from QMT, for a part that was damaged in shipment, before I make a test cut to determine if it turns parallel or not.

BTW, I reported to Matt that the carriage became tight as it approached the headstock. He quickly asked "have you leveled the lathe yet?" Sure enough, leveling fixed that problem!

David G.
Gaithersburg MD

Welcome to the club David, Frank Hoose also makes some pretty good videos of the PM1228:

How was your oil? Is it leaking?

I just got my PM 1228 last Thursday and have been cleaning it and setting things up. I had GFCI problems with tripping, solved that by replacing the GFCI. Today I calibrated my machinist level and worked on leveling the beast on the PM stand . I knew it would be frustrating and after a few hours in a cold garage I gave up. Got it to +/- 002.5" level side to side on the ways. Measured that with a feeler gauge under the level (what was needed under the low side to bring it to read level), I did not bother with the log axis level as most folks say it doesn't matter)

I am waiting for replacement part from QMT, for a part that was damaged in shipment, before I make a test cut to determine if it turns parallel or not.

BTW, I reported to Matt that the carriage became tight as it approached the headstock. He quickly asked "have you leveled the lathe yet?" Sure enough, leveling fixed that problem!

David G.
Gaithersburg MD

Oil level is fine; first thing I checked, And, there are no leaks!
While I was waiting for deliver of the lathe I watched all of Franks videos. Well done and just what a newbie like me needed.

BTW way Koba49 did not say if he calibrated his level (which is the exact one that I have.) Mine was off of being true by a large amount before I calibrated it. The instructions that come with that level are the worst example of bad Chinglish I have ever seen and are worthless. Oxtoolco has a very good video on YouTube that shows how to calibrate a machinist level... easy to do , but it does require a flat surface plate to accomplish the task..
Using this level (or any machinist level) without calibrating it is an exercise in futility.

David G.

Last edited:
Back