The never-ending saga of the Hurco that's "ready to make parts"

Re: Code issue, please help. This stopped being fun a few days ago.

Well, I'm happy to hear that the electronics seem to be working. This has obviously very frustrating for you, but I actually enjoy troubleshooting these kinds of problems. It's part of what I do for a living, and normally over the phone or via email.

As far as the drip feeder goes, is there no way to dump the entire program to memory and run it that way? Also, check your comm port settings on both ends, it could be as simple as a changed comm parameter. I assume that you are using a USB to RS232 adapter. I've had pretty good luck with those.

Try changing CamBam to Absolute Arc Center mode, right now it sounds like you are Incremental mode. CamBam does some strange stuff with arcs, I think to accommodate some of the older controllers that could not digest a full circle. I'll be happy to look over your .cb file if you like.

I also got tired of chasing electrical problems with my 30 year old controller, that's the reason I updated mine. The good news is that I already had the program written for another machine, and I had the hardware on the shelf so it only took me about a day and a half to get mine up and running again when it went down right in the middle of a big job. If you're interested in seeing that process, take a look at my mill upgrade webpage http://www.dawsoncontrols.com/millupgrade.html BTW, I'm not trying to sell anything here, I will give my CNC controller software for free to anyone that can make use of it in their home shop.

There are several different options for updating, I'll be happy to offer my opinions if asked.:lmao:

Keep us posted on the progress.

I think I got the CamBam figured out, operator error.

My compressor went out so no more progress until I get that fixed as it won't run without air.

I an interesting turn of events, the guy (from the business) I got the machine from called today to ask how things were going. I told him the whole sorted tale of my problems and he was completely taken aback. He explained how they had the machine for years and serviced it for years before they bought it and the biggest issue they had was an encoder went out. Must have been the X axis as it was the only one that was different. The business they operate is a machine automation business and they also manufactured the drip feeder. I saw one on every machine in their shop. He said he would ask his techs what could cause the y axis wandering and back-turning. He also said to take the drip feeder off and bring it in and they'd check it out. It work's just not the USB port. While I was talking to him I remembered that when I went to take one of the cards out, my drill tip stuck in the screw and came out of the holder in the drill. I was wondering if maybe someone at some point in the past was putting a card in, drill tip stuck and they didn't notice it and when I was jostling it around to get it in my shop I knocked it loose and it fell onto the bottom card where I found it. :dunno: Guess it doesn't really matter at this point.

I'll get the air compressor fixed this weekend and run some tests to confirm my belief that all is well. Even if it is, I need to start compiling my backup plan for a retrofit. Eventually these old electronics will fail and I want to be ready.

Man, what a run of bad luck. I'll be looking froward to seeing lots of chips made.

Ran a test circle yesterday (1"d through 1/2" alum) and looks like it's working fine although I have to admit I'm cautiously optimistic. Maybe I can crank out some parts before the next problem flares up. Hopefully I can make a few bucks off it before I have to sink any more money into it.

Happy the hear it's working. I hope it stays that way.

Small update. Machine started wandering very slightly today. First thing I did was get bummed out. After that, I set to figuring it out.

Check all oil levels and makes sure all connection are tight. In the course of checking the oils I discovered I had the wrong oil in the auto lube. I had medium light when it should have been #2. Syphoned all the oil out, put new in and turned it on. Problem is still there. Let it idle for about an hour and the problem is now gone (tentatively). Machine lubes itself for 15 minutes every hour.

Here's my theory, and this is more for someone who stumbles on this in the future with a similar problem. Y axis is carrying more weight than the other 2 so if the oil is the wrong weight it would manifest a problem there first with the movement dragging and fighting itself. Only difference between today and yesterday is the addition of a 100# vise. Might have been just enough weight to cause a problem with the thinner oil. After and hour if idling (15 minutes of lubing) the thinner oil is out of the system and the correct stuff is in. If the problem is back tomorrow then I know my theory is crap. I'll update if it is.

That might do it. My oiler pumps one shot about every 5 minutes, I have it set to max output. I use 85-w90 differential gear lube in mine. The oiler holds about a quart or so and will empty it's self in about 24 hours. I have it wired to the e-stop circuit, so anytime that input is high, the oiler is running. Sometimes I forget to hit the E-stop when I'm done for the day, and and wind up with a puddle in the base.

Yep, theory was crap. Issue has gotten progressively worse until now I can't get the machine to do anything but shimmy the table a little. I think the encoder might be shot as when the table is trying to move when I calibrate the axis the reading on the screen doesn't change. They do on the Z axis but not the X (which is next in line for calibrating). New theory is table is trying to move but the encoder is not giving any feedback so it just shakes back and forth :dunno:. My theories havn't exactly been working for me lately.

I got to use the machine for about two weeks and am happy with it when it works. It's plenty sturdy and accurate but I believe I'll be chasing electrical problems until I do something about it. Looks like I might have sold myself on an upgrade. Hate to do it but if I had started a month ago I'd already be done. I'm gonna play with it a little more but I can see a conversion on my horizon. I better start doing my research.

I might start with the encoders and see what that get's me since I'd most likely do those anyway on a conversion.

One thing after another. I see a conversion in you future also. The encoder is also my best guess at this point, try Automation Direct for encoders. Reasonably priced and a lot of options.

There are quite a few options for upgrade systems, I would pick a system that can use your existing motors, drives, and encoders. That will save a lot of expense. If your budget is large enough, then going with a full AC servo system would be the ideal choice. I was able to use the existing motors in my upgrade, so the cost was not astronomical.

Back