The never-ending saga of the Hurco that's "ready to make parts"

Re: Code issue, please help. This stopped being fun a few days ago.

Existing motors is a must.

I think I'd like to convert to linear scales if I'm going to go through all the trouble.

From what little research I've done it looks like a PMDX-126 breakout board and Gecko G320 drivers are compatible, inexpensive and easy to come by. Parts I havn't figured out yet is getting the 90v power for the motors and spindle motor control. Spindle motor might be as simple as a VFD but it does have a speed control knob to either eliminate or deal with.

Every picture I've seen there is a large capacitor in the box with the electronics. What is that for?

Life was looking good! anyway, it will again, just have to get past this hurdle. In the two weeks I had to make parts I actually did a few samples and sold a couple hundred $$ worth of stuff. The day it broke I had requests for $100 worth of more work that was about 1/2 hours work and material I had on hand. Came to my day job today and there is a small job that I could have produced that's worth a couple hundred $$ that they're going to buy from someone else. I have to get this going again.

I think I'd like to convert to linear scales if I'm going to go through all the trouble.
Linear scales is the only way to go in my opinion. Magnetic scales are an option to look at.

From what little research I've done it looks like a PMDX-126 breakout board and Gecko G320 drivers are compatible, inexpensive and easy to come by.
That looks like it might be a good option.

Parts I haven't figured out yet is getting the 90v power for the motors and spindle motor control.
The Gecko drives use a 80V supply, I'm sure that Gecko sells one. Also easy to build out of a control transformer, 4 diodes, and a couple of filter capacitors. I'll be happy to supply a schematic. I am using an off-the-shelf 70V supply on my system, because my Z-axis stepper drive would not take the original 100V DC servo drive power. I found that my x and y motor voltage only went to about 45 volts on a 200 IPM rapid move, so they run just fine on 70V. You probably have a 100V supply in your existing system also.

Spindle motor might be as simple as a VFD but it does have a speed control knob to either eliminate or deal with.
A VFD is the way I would go. I suspect that there is a VFD control port on the PMDX-126.

Every picture I've seen there is a large capacitor in the box with the electronics. What is that for?
I'm pretty sure that would be the filter capacitor for the 90V (80V?) power supply.

I meant magnetic scales. Glass ones are a little too pricey for me.

I'll take that schematic if you don't mind. I'll PM you my email.

In the few tests I've run I never got any voltage above 40 but from the manual it appears that more voltage is supplied (some how) when the machine feels it is necessary. I tend to baby my stuff a little so the difference between 70 and 80 volts will probably never happen.

If you're up for it, I'll definitely be picking your brain when the time comes.

I posted in another thread about an oscilloscope but figured I'd put it here too so it's all together.

Finally got all the encoders off and ran some basic tests.

Basically just checked the voltage coming out of each lead as I turned the shaft very slowly. Used a small 12v power supply.

Z aixs - known good
A - fluctuates between 14v and 0
B - fluctuates between 14v and 0
Z - fluctuates between 115mV and 0

Y aixs
A - fluctuates between 13.25v znd 12.5v
B - fluctuates between 12.5v and 13v
Z - fluctuates between 10.3v and 10.35v

Xaixs
A - fluctuates between 14v and 0
B - fluctuates between 14v and 0
Z - only get a reading of 10mV - no fluctuation

I know this is not as accurate a test as an oscilloscope would offer but I know now there is a different reading between the known good one and the others. There's definitely something fishy there. I have found a scope locally that I told I could borrow so I'm gonna make him up on that.

Is there any way to change the title of the thread to something more appropriate to what it has morphed into?

I can change the title, what would you like?

I can also merge the scope thread and this one if you like

Last edited:
No need to merge, I'm done with the other one.

Title should be something fun and accurate. How about - The never-ending saga of the Hurco that's "ready to make parts"

That should cover it. THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jim, I checked into the link you emailed me for the rotary encoder but they are out of stock. When you get a chance, can you check the following units that I found and see if you spot any glaring deficiencies in performance compared to the one I had. I'm such a novice at this I can't even tell the difference between them except the shaft diameter.

Thanks a bunch.

The only difference in those is the shaft size. I may have generated some confusion by kind of randomly picking an encoder as an example.

Just to help understand the part numbering system

TRD A-2E 1000 VD

TRD = Light Duty Incremental Encoder

A = SAE Dimensioned

2E = 1/4 inch shaft

1000 = PPR

VD = Line Driver Output (A, B, Z, 5 volt)

TRD A-2E 1000 BD

TRD = Light Duty Incremental Encoder

A = SAE Dimensioned

2E = 1/4 inch shaft

1000 = PPR

BD = Open Collector Output (A, -A, B, -B, Z, -Z, 12 - 24 volt)

You were testing your encoder at 12 volts, so I assume the you require a 12 volt encoder, therefore, the BD suffix would be correct. Since you have no connection for the -A, -B, -Z, you would simply not connect those wires.

I would try to match the physical dimensions of the existing encoders, then match the PPR, then the voltage.

Here is a link to the PDF overview of all of the encoders, including drawings.
http://www.automationdirect.com/static/specs/encoderld.pdf

I'll be around if you need a bit more help.

Back