The Monkey's Shop

I did this with my shop. I had a wall that was shared with another space. When it was built, we used Screws for everything and did not put any electrical in the wall. Later when I got my PM45M-CNC I needed more space so I just unscrewed the sheetrock, and the 2x4s and it was like the wall never existed. I was easily able to reuse all of the materials for other projects. The only inconvenience was not having any electrical in the Temp. wall.

Well I assume you will frame it and add a ceiling for any a/c portions. If thats the case make the support beams and walls so that they bolt together verse built as one chunk. Then just cut the dry wall at the stud and pull a couple bolts, push the wall back. Never done it just thinking

I did this with my shop. I had a wall that was shared with another space. When it was built, we used Screws for everything and did not put any electrical in the wall. Later when I got my PM45M-CNC I needed more space so I just unscrewed the sheetrock, and the 2x4s and it was like the wall never existed. I was easily able to reuse all of the materials for other projects. The only inconvenience was not having any electrical in the Temp. wall.

Question, if you were planning on taking the wall down from the beginning, why did you put it up in the first place? Just trying to get my head around this one.

You'll be sorry. I know the space suites you just fine now. But, once you start moving things and in a few short years you'll regret the size reduction. When I built my shop the original plan was 50 x 96. The day I walked in and placed the order it went to 50 x 104. And happy I did it with no regrets, that was 22 years ago.

I'd like to go larger. But given the available space, I feel this size building will fit better.

Although not very insulating, but consider windows for some natural lighting.

Due to building on a sloped lot and making a flat spot, I'm limited on what I can do on two sides. The sloping lot is what has driven my current thought of reducing the size. If I were to build it out of block against the dirt, I could go to 40x64 without a problem. Anyone have a rough idea of what having block laid costs?

I am all shades of green with envy at your new shop building -

Perhaps you should consider moving the outside man-door from the building corner to the middle of the wall so it's less distance (and fewer obstacles when there are vehicles and stuff in the garage side) to haul something from outside into the shop area to tinker with? Also, reverse the swing on the interior shop man-door.

After looking at the site, I've decided to reduce the building to 36x56. Below you will see my updated layout.

View attachment 86795

Just a thought here: FIRE... yeah, it can happen... :(

The shop area needs a door for emergency exit... and that exit needs to not dump into the woods... rather into an area where you can get into a clearing if the woods are 'ablaze'...

Not meaning to be a downer... but planning for these things is IMO a good idea.

Ga

Good point about the inner walls. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Using steel studs you could construct 4'x8' or 10' panels that could bolt together. Use T-111 on both sides with cut outs to access the bolts. The bolts are pieces of all thread that are run through plates that fit inside the metal studs. Foam weather stripping on the stud seals the joints between panels. You could insulate them and even run electrical with plug disconnects for each panel. If all the panel were the same size, but with different configurations you could move recepticals, windows...to suit you resign needs. Search for modular building on Google and you should come up with some ideas. The panels should not be too heavy to move around with two people. Building the panels is done on a jig so that they ar square and go together really quickly.

I'm still working on getting a contractor to build the building. I met with one Friday that looks promising as he actually showed up.

Looking at the above layouts, where would you put floor drains? I was thinking just one between the two garage bays.

Thanks

Back