The Monkey's Shop

I'll make a suggestion... Make sure the inner walls are easy to move as our shops have a bad habit of growing on us. One day it's a lathe and the next you got surface grinders and mills and something you aint even sure what the hell it does but it's made from cast iron so you brought it home

Good point about the inner walls. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

How much of the work are you doing yourself? I'm half way into my own build doing it all myself. Sometimes I wonder how nice it would be to pay someone to do these things.

I'm having the building built with the no insulation or interior finish work. As time permits, I'll finish the interior and install electric. If I had the money, I'd just have someone do that too, but we all know how that goes.

INSULATION

I need to decide how I'm going to insulate the building. One option is to have the building built using bookshelf girts at a cost increase of approximately $1200. This would allow the use of standard roll insulation in the walls. Is there a more cost effective method?

As for the roof/ceiling, I'm going to have the building built with vented eaves and a vented ridge. Then, just have blown in insulation on top of the ceiling. Do I need to be concerned condensation from the roofing? Or, is the ventilation enough?

I did exactly what you are planning and installed bookshelf girts and used standard r-19 batts in my walls. I used white siding tin for my ceiling and r-19 batts above the ceiling. I have a ridge vent and vented soffits and have no problems with condensation. My shop is fairly tight and easy to heat.

Progress is being made on the excavation.

Excavation.jpg

Now, I need to get a contractor to start on the building.

I think I'm going to drop the length to 56' to leave a little more space around the building. I may also drop the width to 36'.

Excavation.jpg

Make your length and width divisable by 3 to save having to rip cut tin.

Jake Parker

After looking at the site, I've decided to reduce the building to 36x56. Below you will see my updated layout.

20141030.jpg

20141030.jpg

Just a thought but with the garage side that deep are you planning on having two cars in each bay? You could put three garage doors in the end wall and make the carnage 28' deep and the shop 28' deep also since the shop never is large enough.

Well I assume you will frame it and add a ceiling for any a/c portions. If thats the case make the support beams and walls so that they bolt together verse built as one chunk. Then just cut the dry wall at the stud and pull a couple bolts, push the wall back. Never done it just thinking

After looking at the site, I've decided to reduce the building to 36x56.

You'll be sorry. I know the space suites you just fine now. But, once you start moving things and in a few short years you'll regret the size reduction. When I built my shop the original plan was 50 x 96. The day I walked in and placed the order it went to 50 x 104. And happy I did it with no regrets, that was 22 years ago.

Back