The Monkey's Shop

I haven't posted any update since there hasn't been any progress. Finding a contractor has proven difficult. As such, I've decided to work on finding someone who can do it this spring.

I'm also trying to decide if I'm going to have to pave the driveway. I'd like to buy a Fadal VMC-15 or a machine of similar size. Given the length and steepness of the current gravel drive, as can be seen in the pictures above, I'm concerned about how I can get the machine down to the building. The machine, depending on what I buy, will be between 6,000 and 10,000 lbs. Any thoughts on the driveway?

Thanks!

Last edited:
A you could leave the driveway gravel or crushed rock, but put a landing pad in front of your door maybe 24 feet.
Pave the rest when you hit the Lotto

That is going to be a really nice shop but have you thought about putting in exterior drainage? It's always easier and cheaper to put it in before the foundation than after.

I may have to edit this after I recheck your drawing; IIRC you have a pass door on the left, then a garage door, 4' of separation then the second garage door. If you move the garage door to the left then the pass door, then the second garage door won't you have more useable space on the right side?

I looked at the drawing again, you would have close to 10' on the right side rather than a 5' space on each side.

Mike

Nice shop! I'm putting insulation under my slab to help keep the floor (i.e. me) warmer. Not sure your location, but I suggest (if you can) adding insulation under yours.

I agree with Gyro on a fire escape route door.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm also trying to decide if I'm going to have to pave the driveway. I'd like to buy a Fadal VMC-15 or a machine of similar size. Given the length and steepness of the current gravel drive, as can be seen in the pictures above, I'm concerned about how I can get the machine down to the building. The machine, depending on what I buy, will be between 6,000 and 10,000 lbs. Any thoughts on the driveway?

Thanks!

I'm thinking if you can get a 50,000 lb concrete truck down there, or a delivery truck for the shop materials, you should be able to get a truck and trailer down there with a 10,000 lb machine on it. You need a nice big forklift anyway. :whistle:

Back