Tell me about this 14-1/2 x 6’

You could bolt 4x4 skids on the legs and roll it on pipes to move it. Invest in SBs book "How to run a lathe".

The serial number is in the front on the extreme right hand side of the bed, stamped in the flat spot between the ways. Look for it in the area shown in your third picture above. It is right next to where the two screw heads are shown.
Yes, but next time I'm there. It's an hour away.

Rick "who'll go back ready for a deeper archeology and assessment--and the ability to get dirty" Denney

You mentioned you bought "the book" and a felt kit. Did you get the Ilion Industries book, A Guide to Renovating the South Bend Lathe Models 10L - 13" - 14 ½" - 16" ? Also, their felt kit?

You mentioned you bought "the book" and a felt kit. Did you get the Ilion Industries book, A Guide to Renovating the South Bend Lathe Models 10L - 13" - 14 ½" - 16" ? Also, their felt kit?

Yes to the book, but not yet to the felt kit. I need to have a plan, and more inspection.

Rick “not in any hurry” Denney

When we did ours there was not felt fit for the 14.5 so we ordered an assortment from grainger and made out own.

Since you have no ridge the wear is likely minimum but if you are taking a hoist to move it then look at full tear down to move.

Less risk of rolling it over.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

When we did ours there was not felt fit for the 14.5 so we ordered an assortment from grainger and made out own.

Since you have no ridge the wear is likely minimum but if you are taking a hoist to move it then look at full tear down to move.

Less risk of rolling it over.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I bought the felt kit for the 16" SB to use on my 14½" and modified what didn't fit...

But I'm pretty sure they offer a kit for the 14½ now...

-Bear

I happened upon a nearby auction of collectible (and not so collectible) farm equipment nearby. That sale included some highly desirable antique tractors and implements, and even a 1902 curved-dash Oldsmobile in fully running condition. Lots of money was changing hands and it was fun to watch.

Saw these:
47FB028D-52C4-451A-83D9-193FAD00989C.jpeg

FB2769F9-984E-4722-89D2-B2EF7848F020.jpeg

My wife posted a pic of me looking at the lathes on her family chat.

I received a message from Uncle’s wife and son: Do not buy a lathe at the auction unless it does something the South Bend does not. I was told that the South Bend will be mine.

Not that I was going to buy one of those lathes in any case. I’m no Keith Rucker—those would require expensive restoration to be usable at any level and that’s not my thing. The power hacksaw behind the lathes was sort-of interesting but there was no drive motor and it was also glued together with rust. Even if these were free, I couldn’t afford them.

Rick “locked up solid with rust” Denney

Last edited:
More scrap iron. The lathe with the quick change gearbox is from the very early 1900s, an improved model came out in about 1907. the odd thing about the one shown is thar the lead screw is inside the bed, partially covered by the overhang of the front tailstock way, imagine how much chips and crud that accumulated on the leadscrew ---, also note the half nut lever at the lefthand end of the apron, not at all convenient to operate whhile also holding onto the carriage hand crank.

Okay, time to start thinking about next steps. I've already been thinking about moving the lathe, and there will be more on that in the coming weeks. For now, though, I'm starting to think about tooling. I see that Precision Matthews sells what I assume to be reasonably well vetted tool-posts and tooling and reasonable prices. I'm considering a BXA toolpost, shown here:

QCTP251-XXXSet.jpg

This includes a knurling tool--push type--which I think the 14-1/2" South Bend can probably handle. And it includes a couple of turning holders, a boring bar holder, and a parting tool holder. I think the size is probably about right--the lathe might handle the larger CXA, but that makes a deeper hole in the wallet probably for no good reason for what I will do.

And then I'm considering PM's insert indexable tooling:

Tool-cutter-BXA-sized.jpg

To this, I'd need to add the threading tool:

Tool-cutter-0-1.jpg

All of this would be less than half a kilobuck and it would be pretty comprehensive. Anything else I needed I could grind from HSS.

So, is this a reasonable line of thinking? I know that carbide tooling works best on lathes that can take a heavier cut, but I think this South Bend is up to that.

I also know that many prefer the Multifix-style tool post rather than the Aloris-style tool post, but the only source of those at reasonable cost seem to not be shipped from U.S. addresses, if you know what I mean. Maybe I'll rethink that in the future, but I sure see lots of people working very effectively with the more common Aloris-style tool post.

I will be looking at the lathe more this weekend, and will try to get a sense of what tooling is coming with it. But I know that it only has a lantern post and nothing in the line of quick-change tool posts. The main thing I'm curious about is the collet holder sleeve and drawbar, which should have been included with this toolroom-spec lathe. I want to put eyes on that stuff. There should be a follow rest that I also haven't seen.

Rick "advice appreciated" Denney

Back