Telescoping Gage Expectations

Using telescoping gauges takes a little bit of practice to get repeatable results. Ideally, one should have a couple of reference gauges, so you know what you should end up measuring. But you can get by without them. One needs to take the measurements with the idea to minimize the variation between measurements. Take 10 measurements of the same bore and see how far apart they are. If they are within a couple of tenths, you are doing well. If not, practice your technique of using both the device, and your micrometer. I find that if the ratchet engages on the mic, my measurements are not uniform. Instead I do it by the feel of first solid contact. This tends to give lower measurement variation. Having a micrometer stand lets you concentrate on that "first solid contact" rather than juggling everything. If you really need an accurate measurement, take a bunch of them and average them. Hope this helps.
Yes, it is. Thank a lot man.

Wow, thanks a lot man. I will for sure, I welcome all the help I can get. I have a few crazy ideas on where to put that engine too. But 34hp from 305cc that’s freaking crazy. How did you do it man.
Replaced intake manifold (cut and welded new one on), billet stroker crank, billet cam, piston, con rod, pushrods, flywheel. Lots of porting, head work , EC Tillotsen carb, custom exhaust, etc.

Sorry the picture is kinda small, I should have taken more photos back then.

305_Briggs.jpeg

John

Replaced intake manifold (cut and welded new one on), billet stroker crank, billet cam, piston, con rod, pushrods, flywheel. Lots of porting, head work , EC Tillotsen carb, custom exhaust, etc.

Sorry the picture is kinda small, I should have taken more photos back then.

View attachment 465842

John
So nice :) I want one for Christmas

I got a nagaki 140cc engine after the 125cc and corrected the valves intake/exhaust from info on internet. Was more copy paste but that engine run like crazy. A lot of pizza delivery guys where begging for it. And added a bigger carb. It would go vertical if you would open the throttle full blow. Fun times.

BTW, our modified Briggs 305cc would put out ~34hp on the dyno with straight methanol. No more than 25% nitromethane for racing or you'd be sending it back in pieces....
Thats really impressive. I have read about people turning up Vanguard's to 30+hp for use in golf carts, getting that out of a single cylinder is crazy. I would get hurt for sure!

I found this one from china, how does this one compares to the telescopic gauge.

I am looking for tools. I also have a b&s 420cc that needs a rebuild.
I use these to check if and how much a long bore is tapered. I have used these to measure the bore diameter but found that a mistake in reading the actual bore diameter is easily made. So to measure, I use the telescopic gauges.

Off topic trivia.....

Gauge blocks were invented by a guy named Carl Johanssen. Hence the nickname, based on his last name, "Jo" blocks.

He was Sweedish, so as far as I can tell, we oughtta be calling them "Yo blocks" But we don't.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Edvard_Johansson
Henry Ford bought the American company that Johansson founded to get access to the gauge blocks that Johansson had invented.

I have a set of Do-All gauge blocks and a set of offshore 'cheapies'. Both work just fine. My Do-All set had a bunch of worn blocks replaced with Mitutoyo Lab grade blocks. On my digital mic, I cannot tell the difference.

The Accusize set is all any hobby guy needs, if that.

Back