Telescoping Gage Expectations

If you're interested in doctoring up a cheap set (which does work, it's just time....), here's a quick video that will show you what the problems are, where the springs shoot out from, and how to get them back together again.

Thank you so much man

I have bought a cheap (20 $) telescopic gauge set some years ago. I compared them to my inner micrometers for a month. After a few days (learning period), they produced the same results.
I do not measure the size on the telescopic gauge because it seems that the force of the micrometer (0.5 mm pitch) is to much for my telescopic gauges. I now set the micrometer to the requested size and feel how the telescopic gauge fits. I also measure twice, pickup the size using the gauge and measure the gauge using the micrometer, to be sure.

I have a set of Mitutoyo and a set of very cheap offshore ones.

The Mits are great. After knowing what they *should* feel like, come cleaning, some stoning and the offshore ones and *nearly* as smooth. They fall down in the fittment department of the telescoping section, so they are a little less repeatable. Can still measure to .001 with them

[update] Thanks @tim81 for posting Tony's video. It shows how I tuned my offshore gauges up. The Mit gauges didn't need it....

Last edited:
I have bought a cheap (20 $) telescopic gauge set some years ago. I compared them to my inner micrometers for a month. After a few days (learning period), they produced the same results.
I do not measure the size on the telescopic gauge because it seems that the force of the micrometer (0.5 mm pitch) is to much for my telescopic gauges. I now set the micrometer to the requested size and feel how the telescopic gauge fits. I also measure twice, pickup the size using the gauge and measure the gauge using the micrometer, to be sure.

This is whats nice about the quality brands , I hate some second hand mitutoyo ones and they repeat on measurement to better than 0.001"

Some of the cheaper ones can probably be finessed to good working order but I have had very very cheep ones where the machining of them was beyond saving.

Stu

This is whats nice about the quality brands , I hate some second hand mitutoyo ones and they repeat on measurement to better than 0.001"

Some of the cheaper ones can probably be finessed to good working order but I have had very very cheep ones where the machining of them was beyond saving.

Stu
It’s like cheap adjustable parallels: they are accurate, but the dovetails are full of grinding dust - take them apart, clean, lightly lube and they’re great.

Last edited:
I found this one from china, how does this one compares to the telescopic gauge.

I am looking for tools. I also have a b&s 420cc that needs a rebuild.
Better. Easier to check taper & out of round. Smallest bore measureable is 50 mm or 2” though. Buy both types.

I got this one on Amazon. I got both the telescopic and the bore gauge. So can check measurements and use mean value if needed.

Here is the used b$s 420cc

Attachments

• IMG_3934.jpeg
    IMG_3934.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 11
Back