Telescoping Gage Expectations

heli_av8tor

Registered
Registered
I purchased a SHARS 5/16"-6" TELESCOPING GAGE Set Premium Series 303-4106 P\ on Amazon. I'm probably expecting too much at this price point.

The plungers on all of the gages feel "notchy" as they are depressed if there is any tension on the lock knob.

Shouldn't I be able to put a slight pressure with the locking knob and have them move smoothly but with resistance?

This would allow a gage to be inserted into a bore at a slight angle, rocked through alignment, and removed leaving the gage at the actual bore diameter. This is impossible with these gages.

Do the high end gages such as Starrett work like this?

I have a very nice Starrett set now but have owned cheap sets in the past and I have always got good readings with either set.

Starretts are smoother and I have the one leg style and prefer them, but my old Harbor Freight set gave the same measurements.

I bought an inexpensive set of telescoping gauges about ten years ago and probably equivalent to Shars brand. I found they were greatly improved after disassembly and cleaning — I still use them today.

You get what you pay for. I have used the same Starrett set for about 60 years now with no complaints, also have a B&S set with interchangable heads with a (quite) long handle for deep holes.

I purchased a SHARS 5/16"-6" TELESCOPING GAGE Set Premium Series 303-4106 P\ on Amazon. I'm probably expecting too much at this price point.

The plungers on all of the gages feel "notchy" as they are depressed if there is any tension on the lock knob.

Shouldn't I be able to put a slight pressure with the locking knob and have them move smoothly but with resistance?

This would allow a gage to be inserted into a bore at a slight angle, rocked through alignment, and removed leaving the gage at the actual bore diameter. This is impossible with these gages.

I needed a set of these and Harbor Freight had a set so I bought them to bridge the momentary need, they were pretty much as you discribe. I have since bought a double set, a set of standard length and a set of extended 12" Dasqua brand and they are smooth and work very well, for measurement equipment I have had great luck/service from my Dasqua instruments and the price point for most of their gear is very affordable.

If you can find a set, the Yuasa made in Japan telescoping gauges are actually rebadged Mitutoyos. Someone on here turned me on to that and I was very glad they did. I picked up a set for $40 or 50 and they were considerably better to use than my HF set. The ends moved more smoothly in their bores and they locked up solidly, both of which make it easier to get reproducible measurements. Given that accurate use of these is alot about "feel", I think it's worth spending extra and one of the few instances where I would argue against cheaper tooling.

I bought an inexpensive set of telescoping gauges about ten years ago and probably equivalent to Shars brand. I found they were greatly improved after disassembly and cleaning — I still use them today.
I got hf cheapo version :eek: and will give them a cleaning bath.

If you're interested in doctoring up a cheap set (which does work, it's just time....), here's a quick video that will show you what the problems are, where the springs shoot out from, and how to get them back together again.

Back