Tee-slot Cutters

I think he means milling out the T sector to full width in one pass and therefor cutting on both sides at once.
yes I mean do you get one that say 1 inch with a 3 inch depth of cut do you do one sided a time.. Or would I look for something an inch and a half and try and take the whole t-slot part out at 1 pass? That's what I was meaning

In other words are you stuck with what you can find of the shelf as far as dimensions. I imagine you can do it either way but I guess I want to know the best way the right way. Yes and I know to hog the one inch section out of the center obviously

I'm sorry for my late reply. My health is iffy right now.

I'm in the middle of making a taper attachment and I was able to get outside today and finish one side of the clamping mechanism so that's good I'm satisfied with that.

When cutting T-Slots I always use two separate cutters, one for the slot (straight endmill, and one to cut the "T" (Woodruff key Cutter). Never had a problem.

"Billy G"
Yes I understand that that's pretty basic

But you understand what I was saying look at the drawing its 1.4 something something across the bottom of the Tee my question was is it best practice to get a color that will handle the entire length of the bottom of the tea or do one side at a time

yes I mean do you get one that say 1 inch with a 3 inch depth of cut do you do one sided a time.. Or would I look for something an inch and a half and try and take the whole t-slot part out at 1 pass? That's what I was meaning

In other words are you stuck with what you can find of the shelf as far as dimensions. I imagine you can do it either way but I guess I want to know the best way the right way. Yes and I know to hog the one inch section out of the center obviously
Check your shank diameter and shank tallness clearances before thinking of just trying to cut one side at a time. Because of clearance problems that I have typically encountered. I have gone with an actual size staggered tooth T slot cutter and plunged cut it…Dave.

Last edited:
Xnerd .

Cleveland Twist Drill .
1" diameter
.250 width
1/2" shank diameter ( the shank is undercut and will let you get your full depth)
New unused in original packaging
I ground you a set screw flat if you are using an end mill holder or use a collet

It will be in the mail today so you should get it Monday . Dave

Last edited:
Check your shank diameter and shank tallness clearances before thinking of just trying to cut one side at a time. Because of clearance problems that I have typically encountered. I have gone with an actual size staggered tooth T slot cutter and plunged cut it…Dave.

Done this many times also . We used to manufacture torpedo trays for the subs back in the days and did form slots on one pass , thus we called it " form milling " . These were very large mills though with lots of HP and rigidity and always with heavy duty flood coolant. I would never recommend doing this on a Bridgey or a mini-mill to anyone . Its not for the faint of heart !

Sorry, left that part out. Yes, only one side at a time. Sometimes I take things for granted. Again sorry.

"Billy G"

Back