Tee-slot Cutters

If this is your first try at cutting a “T” slot, then there are few cautions. The one big caution that comes to mind is, you MUST keep the chips clear from the T slot cutter. Or it will clog up and probably break the cutter or at least ruin the dimensions of the T slot. The second is, first make a pass with a regular end mill down the middle, cutting the middle section of the T slot to size. I cannot emphasize enough the first big caution…Dave.

:bawling:
If this is your first try at cutting a “T” slot, then there are few cautions. The one big caution that comes to mind is, you MUST keep the chips clear from the T slot cutter. Or it will clog up and probably break the cutter or at least ruin the dimensions of the T slot. The second is, first make a pass with a regular end mill down the middle, cutting the middle section of the T slot to size. I cannot emphasize enough the first big caution…Dave.

That , and don't try climbing ! You'll find out in a big hurry if you have any backlash in your leadscrew !! That gets ugly . :bawling:

When cutting T-Slots I always use two separate cutters, one for the slot (straight endmill, and one to cut the "T" (Woodruff key Cutter). Never had a problem.

"Billy G"

When cutting T-Slots I always use two separate cutters, one for the slot (straight endmill, and one to cut the "T" (Woodruff key Cutter). Never had a problem.

"Billy G"
I recommend only using a staggered tooth T slot cutter.

Plunge cutting with a woodruff cutter ? Not sure I understand that statement o_O All you're doing is milling out the tee section . No plunging going on here .

Woodruff cutter only cuts the horizontal part of the "T", not the whole thing. You cut the slot to depth then at the bottom of the slot cut with the woodruff cutter. No plunging here either.

"Billy G"

Plunge cutting with a woodruff cutter ? Not sure I understand that statement o_O All you're doing is milling out the tee section . No plunging going on here .
I think he means milling out the T sector to full width in one pass and therefor cutting on both sides at once.

Good to know Dave thanks for the tip I will keep up blessed they're going at it the whole time gluing the chips out.

So as far as RPMs are concerned what are we looking at? Actually don't answer that because I don't even know if I'm getting a carbide bit or what I'm still making deals LOL

I think he means milling out the T sector to full width in one pass and therefor cutting on both sides at once.

Ah , ok . He had me baffled . Yes , cut half at a shot Xnerd . Woodruffs are HSS by the way . Just drop your speed as slow as possible . use oil and clear your chips .

Back