taper turning attachment.

Hi John, thats how I would have used it.
I have plans to re-do the handle and extend the travel plus add some real bearings there so thought it might be the time to sort out the taper attachment at the same time.
Currently drawing up a set of half nuts to see if they will fit and how they could operate.
Probably overthing the whole deal but what the hell.

PS - Probably not a great idea to leave the crank dangling on the leadscrew. You could make a thin metal plate, the same size as the "mounted" end of the crank mount, with screw holes and a central hole just large enough to clear the leadscrew. Place it between the crank mount and the cross slide. When you dismount the crank, use the original screws to re-attach the plate. It will then support the leadscrew and help prevent damage to the screw or to the nut inside the cross slide

I made a taper attachment for my 10 x 22 lathe and had to remove the cross slide lead screw to use it, as you noted. I made it for a specific project and have only used it one more time since then. I am still glad I made it and I'm sure it will come in handy in the future. I didn't find it to be a real bother to remove the lead screw for occasional use. I suppose if you were frequently going back and forth between using the attachment and not, it might become a PITA and your solution would be better but also a lot more work, initially (well for me anyways .... probably not for you, based on the work I have seen you produce). If you do make a taper attachment and / or the revised leadscrew system please post pics. I enjoy looking at the quality stuff you produce.
Got any pics of this setup ???

It's a little crude since I made it before getting my mill drill, so I'm sure you could improve it. I know the next one I make for the 12 x 36 lathe will be better.

upload_2017-3-6_7-57-34.png

upload_2017-3-6_7-58-43.png

In order for this to work on my lathe I removed the cross slide leadscrew and made sure the cross slide gibs weren't too tight. However you could just back the cross slide leadscrew off, as shown in hman's pic above.

If you make one please post pics. I would like to see the improved version.

I hear you on wanting a taper attachment (TA)! It’s kinda like having a car without an AM FM radio. My lathe does not have a TA either. But I think I have a better solution. I have a Copy Master tracer attachment. I can cut tapers and also profiles. This thing has more capability and less nonsense to your lathe. And with a TP, it’s typically always attached and gets loaded with swarf and gets in the way when not used. And the telescoping part of the feedscrew can wear causing more backlash than normal. The Copy Master is set-up and removed with ease. Just my 3 cents. There is ALWAYS a workaround…Dave.

Last edited:
I hear you on wanting a taper attachment (TA)! It’s kinda like having a car without an AM FM radio. My lathe does not have a TA either. But I think I have a better solution. I have a Copy Master tracer attachment. I can cut tapers and also profiles. This thing has more capability and less nonsense to your lathe. And with a TP, it’s typically always attached and gets loaded with swarf and gets in the way when not used. And the telescoping part of the feedscrew can wear causing more backlash than normal. The Copy Master is set-up and removed with ease. Just my 3 cents. There is always a workaround…Dave.

No pics .... that's just teasing us, lol. I Googled Copy Master and couldn't find any pics. Have you got some so we can see how it works. It sounds to be much better and more versatile than a taper attachment and I'm betting I'd rather have one of those than a TA on my other lathe.

No pics .... that's just teasing us, lol. I Googled Copy Master and couldn't find any pics. Have you got some so we can see how it works. It sounds to be much better and more versatile than a taper attachment and I'm betting I'd rather have one of those than a TA on my other lathe.
Sorry, can’t find my pics and talk that I thought I made in the HM a time ago? The link below is not the same brand but is the same principal. In the pics you see the attachment making a contour form. If you just wanted to turn a taper. Then you would use a straight piece of template material. There is ALWAYS a workaround!...Dave.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Contour-tracer-attachment-Taper-Craftsman-atlas-CNC-/191198692756

Last edited:
That’s a “hydraulic” tracer. The one I have is not hydraulic and not as convoluted. It’s just a simple slide mechanism following a template. Very easy to set-up and remove. Good luck, Dave.

Sorry, can’t find my pics and talk that I thought I made in the HM a time ago? The link below is not the same brand but is the same principal. In the pics you see the attachment making a contour form. If you just wanted to turn a taper. Then you would use a straight piece of template material. There is ALWAYS a workaround!...Dave.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Contour-tracer-attachment-Taper-Craftsman-atlas-CNC-/191198692756

How does it work? Do you run the lathe with the lead screw driving the carriage, then operate the cross slide manually to try and follow the template?

Back