Tap Socket Set

Hand tapping, blind holes in hardened material.
I have a superior tap handle, but the fine folks that made it have foolishly never considered putting their name on it. I can just about assure you that you would like it better. It fits *everything* up to 1/2", holds on center, can be used in a drill chuck, or with a spring loaded center, and is just 1000% better than any other tap handle I've used. It put a slew of Starrets into dust collection when I got one.

I've seen some other members advocate them from time to time, perhaps one of them could chime in with the manufacturer. (A machine shop in the U.S. that made them for their own use, then decided to market them. - Nevermind, found it!

Also, they're simply amazing for tiny taps - the best thing I've tried there as well.

Made somewhere in the Eastern USA. Their marketing is so terrible that I can't find them. ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H...

If these guys could market, they'd own the market...

GsT

P.S. It's hard to see all of its virtues, read carefully. I've got $1 that says anyone that owns one will echo my sentiment.

@GeneT45

I watched the Ox Tool video and was disappointed that Tom didn't put a DTI on the tap shank, in the mill, to demonstrate exactly how "centered" the tap actually was. My guess is that the wrench would be most useful to folks with precious little Z height to work with. YMMV

I ordered one of each, but this is the winner. Keep it short.
Seriously thinking about milling a hex on the OD and shortening the shank so it fits up in the chuck.

View attachment 482622

I don't remember ever seeing a handle for the chuck, like you show there. That is definitely on the project list.

Oh yes, the chuck only has 3 jaws, so no need for more than 3 flats on the socket.

I don't remember ever seeing a handle for the chuck, like you show there. That is definitely on the project list.

Oh yes, the chuck only has 3 jaws, so no need for more than 3 flats on the socket.
One of our members presented that idea a couple of years back. I couldn't believe I'd never seen it before. SMH

I have a superior tap handle, but the fine folks that made it have foolishly never considered putting their name on it. I can just about assure you that you would like it better. It fits *everything* up to 1/2", holds on center, can be used in a drill chuck, or with a spring loaded center, and is just 1000% better than any other tap handle I've used. It put a slew of Starrets into dust collection when I got one.

I've seen some other members advocate them from time to time, perhaps one of them could chime in with the manufacturer. (A machine shop in the U.S. that made them for their own use, then decided to market them. - Nevermind, found it!

Also, they're simply amazing for tiny taps - the best thing I've tried there as well.

Made somewhere in the Eastern USA. Their marketing is so terrible that I can't find them. ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H...

If these guys could market, they'd own the market...

GsT

P.S. It's hard to see all of its virtues, read carefully. I've got $1 that says anyone that owns one will echo my sentiment.
I like it! The price not so much.

@GeneT45

I watched the Ox Tool video and was disappointed that Tom didn't put a DTI on the tap shank, in the mill, to demonstrate exactly how "centered" the tap actually was. My guess is that the wrench would be most useful to folks with precious little Z height to work with. YMMV
We all have precious Z in the sense that it's a PITA to crank the knee down 200 turns to accommodate a 'T' wrench. But its utility goes far beyond that.

I like it! The price not so much.
Yep, it's expensive. OTOH, how much do we spend on rotabs, dividing heads, and other stuff that gets used "once in a while" versus a tap wrench that gets used all the time? I'm starting to sound like a shill, but I have no interest in the company, and am not in any way encouraged to advertise. Like I said before, it has obsoleted a large number of Starret wrenches in my collection - I have a lot more invested in those Starrets than the price of this wrench. Pointed out only because it's the superior product.

I have yet to hear the owner of one say that it was a bad investment...

GsT

Back