Tap Socket Set

Speaking of a tap chuck, other than a tapping head, I've got this. I forgot when & where I got it but it's morse taper & could be used in a mill with an adapter. I bought it for use in the lathe but I never do, I think I've only tried it once or twice.

It's a rigid chuck so there's no give, if something happens, something is going to break & at the worst hopefuy it's only the tap.
That looks like the Jacobs I just found . :encourage:

I believe, according to an ANSI standard, that both US standard and Metric standard taps have the same square drives, obviously depending on screw thread diameter. I'm sure there are deviates out there, but I don't know any reason not to use taps conforming to the ANSI standard.

If you look at the chart I've linked, reading from left to right, you'll see that all ANSI taps with Machine Screw Size #0 through #6 and metric sizes 1.5mm through 3.5mm have the same shank diameter and same square drive size. And so on.
Apparently this has been a closely held secret . . . NOT.

My suggestion is to buy the set you're looking at and measure the square recesses. I think it will cover sizes #8 through 5/8" (except for 7/16", depending on how sloppy the sockets are).

Thanks for this. You learn something new everyday (with any luck).
I ordered one of everything, should cover me.

Speaking of a tap chuck, other than a tapping head, I've got this. I forgot when & where I got it but it's morse taper & could be used in a mill with an adapter. I bought it for use in the lathe but I never do, I think I've only tried it once or twice.

It's a rigid chuck so there's no give, if something happens, something is going to break & at the worst hopefuy it's only the tap.

View attachment 481710View attachment 481711View attachment 481712
I got mine like that from LMS. I like it and have used it a lot. It supports the tap very well and seems to keep it from flexing and breaking. But I don’t think I’ve ever done anything as small as 10-32 with it. It definitely gets a puuuuuurrrrrr too.

I'm tired of trying to get a chuck tight enough to drive a tap and equally tired of cranking the knee up and down to use my spindle tapper.
I ordered this set

View attachment 481570

but what I really want is a set of these.
View attachment 481571
I can only find them in metric, I need inch/imperial/SAE/US Customary.
Anyone know where I can find them?
I have had this set for 30 years ir so.
I dont tap anything larger than these can handle ( auto repair)
I was not aware that the square drives where available in MM?

Attachments

• IMG_4315.jpeg
    IMG_4315.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 5
I have had this set for 30 years ir so.
I dont tap anything larger than these can handle ( auto repair)
I was not aware that the square drives where available in MM?
See the above post, apparently they are standardized. No difference between inch and metric.
Gotta love it when they get something right.

In my tap cabinet, I think the only real-life standard is deviance. May be the case from a single manufacturer or modern ISO tool crib stuff, but among my random collection the drive squares vary severely. I wouldn't hang my hat on it is all, but that's why drives come in sets and tap wrenches are adjustable.

Im going to upset the idea of what many people feel is a good tap wrench for the situation at hand.

Surprised this didn't come up, but it does seem pricy until you use it a few times, and the benefits become clear.

This solves the most common problem of standard profile tap handles used in a machine, the situation where the tap handle is too close to the column or bed of the machine or a protuberance of the part to get a full rotation.

I can only vouch for this set, not for the quality or value of their sets that include their taps/dies.

In my tap cabinet, I think the only real-life standard is deviance. May be the case from a single manufacturer or modern ISO tool crib stuff, but among my random collection the drive squares vary severely. I wouldn't hang my hat on it is all, but that's why drives come in sets and tap wrenches are adjustable.
Are you saying that you have, for instance, a number of 1/4-20 taps that have various shank diameters and/or various square drive sizes? Details please?

I can only vouch for this set, not for the quality or value of their sets that include their taps/dies.
We had them in at work . The wrenches were decent , the taps and dies were junk high carbon variety . We would get charged 3X what they cost to everyone as we ( Danaher ) owned Apex . :rolleyes:

Back