Tap organization

I have a crappy tap set, every time I use it I wonder if this will be the time when I break one and can’t remove it… I wouldn’t mind replacing it with a HSS tap set- even though I know I’ll probably only use half of the taps.

I’m not quite to the stage where I‘d buy taper, plug and bottoming taps for each size when I need them…
Avoid the taper and plug... just buy the spiral gun tap and bottoming taps, and just what you use the most. You'll be glad you did.
One set is valuable for filling in, after that replace with better quality. And for your most used, buy in multiples, and try different manufacturers and different coatings. My most used tap is definitely the 1/4-20 I just looked, I have about 12 new or new like 1/4 -20s mostly spiral , a few bottom, and 2 coated, and one taper from a purchase when I was young .. The taper is fine, but I don't really use it. The spiral on a through hole is far superior..
for those not familiar here's the diff in spiral vs spiral flute.
PXL_20230907_010853091.jpgPXL_20230907_010857060.jpg

Avoid the taper and plug... just buy the spiral gun tap and bottoming taps, and just what you use the most. You'll be glad you did.
One set is valuable for filling in, after that replace with better quality. And for your most used, buy in multiples, and try different manufacturers and different coatings. My most used tap is definitely the 1/4-20 I just looked, I have about 12 new or new like 1/4 -20s mostly spiral , a few bottom, and 2 coated, and one taper from a purchase when I was young .. The taper is fine, but I don't really use it. The spiral on a through hole is far superior..
for those not familiar here's the diff in spiral vs spiral flute.
I would totally agree. In over 50 years of buying taps, I've never intentionally purchased a taper, plug, and bottoming tap set. There have been a few times when I needed an uncommon size that only came that way, but other than that it's always been spiral point and bottoming taps only. I have purchased a few forming taps, but generally stick to the higher quality HSS thread cutting taps.

There are times when hand tapping in difficult material that a taper tap might make things a bit easier, however if the majority of your tapping is done by machine, I wouldn't waste the money. The shop I worked in only bought spiral point taps for through holes, and spiral flute taps for blind holes.

Sometimes in a pinch we would use a spiral point tap to start a blind hole then grind off most of the lead threads to make it into a modified bottom tap. It was a royal PITA because you had to keep backing out the tap to clean the chips out of the hole. Fortunately, that didn't happen very often.

Buying in bulk is a real money saver. If you're patient most high-quality name brand taps (GH3) under 3/8" can be purchased for around $3.00 per unit when bought by the package. I generally go to eBay and buy from businesses that buy surplus stock or buy out businesses that are closing or changing focus.

just buy the spiral gun tap and bottoming taps
Thanks for the pictures you posted. I though a spiral tap was one of those ones that both drills the hole and taps (for thin wall metal).

What do you find is the main advantage of a spiral tap compared to a straight flute tap?

I have been thinking about getting a HSS tap set, hopefully I don’t open up a can of worms by asking what is a good quality manufacturer that’s not crazy expensive.

Thanks for the pictures you posted. I though a spiral tap was one of those ones that both drills the hole and taps (for thin wall metal).

What do you find is the main advantage of a spiral tap compared to a straight flute tap?
The two most common "spiral" taps are the spiral point style and the spiral flute style. The spiral point taps are commonly referred to as "gun taps" and are used on through holes. The gun tap name applies since they shoot the swarf forward through the hole. They can be run at relatively high speed because they don't need to be backed off to break the chips like a hand or "straight flute" tap does.

Spiral flute taps are most often used on blind holes. They have fewer lead threads allowing them to cut to the bottom of the hole. Like the gun tap they are self-clearing. This style tap spirals the swarf back up the hole, so it doesn't pack into the bottom and require removing the tap to complete threading to the bottom.

Straight flute more commonly known as "hand taps" should be reversed every half turn or so to break the chips and allow them to collect in the flutes. If the chips aren't broken on a regular basis they will cause the tap to jam and quite possibly break. In thick material they should also be removed occasionally to empty the flutes so as to avoid packing in and breaking the tap

This is an example of a spiral point tap for through holes:

This is an example of a spiral flute tap for blind holes:

The type of tap that both drills the holes and taps them is referred to as a combination drill/tap. They are rarely be used for blind holes.

This is an example of a combination drill/tap:

Last edited:

A spiral tap doesn't require constantly backing out the tap for a through hole. It forces the chip ahead, so it's easier to tap, and it doesn't foul the tap which results in a duller tap quicker. so your tap stays sharper longer.

brand is tough... there are so many good brands. I like guhring, but I will buy anything from name brands, they are usually good. I order singles from McMaster, and guhring

Back