Tap organization

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I keep buying old machinist's tool boxes off CL and FB and have acquired quite the collection of taps. From the very small to 1". But organizing them is the question of the day. I've seen those tap drawer organizers from Huot and the imports, but they seem to have a limited range on the tabs. I understand that some of them come with blank labels but the separators seem the limiting factor. Outside of spending thousands of dollars on Lista cabinets, I'd like to see how my fellow hobbyists keep things like this better organized. As you can see from the photo, I started sorting the larger taps by size (not pitch) and I have some duplicates.

IMG_0914.jpeg

Back in 2020 I purchased 1 Huot 13500 and 2 13550 tap dispensers. At the time they were $85.00 each. They hold the majority of my 2-56 through 1-12 taps. I buy them by the package (usually 10 to 20 per envelope) to keep the per unit price down. One package at a time fits in the dispenser. When I take out the last one, I refill the compartment and order another pack or two depending on the price.

I still put fractionals above 1" in a drawer of my printers' cabinet. Metric taps are in a plastic 44 drawer small parts cabinet. I don't use the fractionals above 1" and the metrics often enough to justify a dedicated dispenser for each type.

The prices have gone up considerably in the last couple years. The 13550 cabinets are now $125.00 to $150.00 depending on where you buy them. The 13500 cabinets are still in the $100.00 range. As an FYI I researched several online vendors when purchasing mine. I don't remember the name of the company I bought the from, but when they found out I was interested in 3 cabinets they offered a nice discount from the list price.

I use those plastic drawer organisers (forgot what they're called, have lots of little pull out draws in a large metal frame) for all my bolts and nuts, so I simply have an extra drawer at the end of the sequence for the taps.IMG_9357.JPGIMG_9358.JPG

medicine containers work good---just put a label on them. also metal card file cabinets work great for bits and taps and dies.
Dave

I have one drawer in a Kennedy bottom box dedicated to drills, another is dedicated to taps, reamers and assorted easyouts, tap handles and such.

I fear the wheels might blow off of this rollaway someday.

I built a couple of 4' wide x 4' tall x 2' deep cabinets with full extension glides on the 22" deep drawers. I used 3" deep organizers from Harbor Freight. I cut sheet metal to the width of the card drop-ins at the front of the bins, then a bend over the top for a label.

Bruce

Taps/dies in HF/Menards bins
20220126_104822.jpg

Works for end mills too!
20220126_104735.jpg

Cut sheet metal to the width of the card holder, then bent at the top for a label
20200508_163631.jpg

I went from this:
20180715_125807.jpg

To this!
20200508_163411.jpg

Back