Tap organization

These are my organizers for taps. The small drawers offer enough room for several taps per size and I did separate drawers in popular sizes to separate spiral point, spiral, and hand taps.

The bigger drawers did great for taps up to 1 1/4".

20230703_112430.jpg

I not only had a tap organization problem, I had a screw and bolt problem...so I combined forces. A bunch of drawers organize the threaded stuff, and I keep the appropriate taps right in with their matching threaded fasteners. Seems to work well. I also have a divided box of taps for spares and random sizes.

A poster in another machinist's group recently said he uses the compartmented ammo cases from Cabela's to store taps and other such tooling, looked like a good idea. Cases are pretty inexpensive and come in a range of sizes. He takes the lids off, of course.

Not true! Akro Mills still makes steel framed units. They're great! Oh, and almost $200... The drawers are deep enough to hold quite a few sizes ( the exact number varies by unit).

GsT
Holy jumping Tom cats, I had no idea they were that expensive.

I have one in my basement shop that I have no idea where it came from.

It just……. appeared. Good thing I didn’t ditch it when that thought crossed my mind.

It just……. appeared. Good thing I didn’t ditch it when that thought crossed my mind.
I buy old Akro-Mils organizers for $10 to $25 each at the flea market. Just have to be patient.

They've never been cheap, but they used to be fairly reasonable. They had a steep price increase a year(?) or so ago.

GsT

Back