Tailstock scratching ways

I liked my PM-950V that I have at our house in Ohio, I bought one just like it for our Maine house. My wife and I set up the 2 ton gantry to get it off the trailer onto some car wheel skates I have and we pushed it into our garage. We had to take down the gantry and move it into the garage and reassemble it where we lifted it off the pallet and the wheel skates. We pushed the gantry with the mill hung from it into position and lowered it perfectly into place! The 950 head is made in Taiwan while the rest of the machine is made in the mainland.View attachment 368059
Don’t get me wrong, I love the machine. It was a lack of information on the price and how much that affects the quality. Unfortunately, companies don’t say this machines paint will come off, the threads with be crossed, and it will leak oil. I have been spoiled as well, running/maintaining $50k+ machines. I think the rush to get the machines out after the pandemic played a part in the quality too.

I will buy from them again, but as Eric ^ said, remember that’s how they are. Everything I had seen before buying my lathe was used, or Cnc. I looked at clausing lathes with the same swing and they were 14,000 for the machine only, this put it in perspective too.

I think that there is just a difference in quality due to the lower price. I have a lot of cheap imported tools that just don't work but kind of live with it, since the price was so low. In this case, I would just try to find the high spot and find out why it is scratching. It may just be a hard spot in the casting, and can be gently persuaded to not be so sharp and proud. I wouldn't return the product. It's a really good lesson, and one that you can well afford to repeat. Just try to make things sort of work. I have posted a few examples, and I'll report some of them here. I bought some Harbor Freight diamond cutoff wheels. I discovered that they would only cut a tiny bit on their perimeter before the thin layer of diamond grit wore away. The disks had plenty of diamonds on their faces for the customer to see, but those did no good for cutting. They were there for cosmetic purposes only. At least the cutters can be used to do some tool grinding, but there aren't really enough diamonds to do much good. I thought the mandrels could be repurposed, but the cheap screw stripped out immediately. I'll never buy these again, but I won't return them. This will cause me to repeat unwanted behavior. I bought a carbide tipped dead center for my lathe from Ebay. I ended up getting sent a mild steel tipped dead center. I know it is mild steel since I gingerly did a file test. I complained to the seller, and they insisted that I send lots of photographic evidence including the file marks. When I sent the photos, they asked me if I would be happy if they returned $1. I said OK. These lathes can do a lot of good work, but as a lot of people on the Internet say, they have shortcomings that need some refinement by the consumer.
Yes, I will begin refining soon. I will stick to asking people here instead of their tech unless something mechanical fails.

I wouldnt worry about tarnishing anyones rep. Your concerns are legitimate, especially for someone with little experience.

Mechanical issues like gear engagement should be addressed by pm but with the realization that if they provide replacement parts you will be providing the labor.

I am suprised at their attitude toward the tailstock scratching the ways. At the very least they should suggest checking for burrs or debris to eliminate the cause. Careful use of a hard stone can cure a lot of manufacturing sins.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Tech mentioned to look for a chip, but this was the first thing I did. There was no chip and I said this. Tech responded saying, it’s fine to leave it, otherwise you will stop the tailstock from being able to get oil underneath.

Subsurface imperfections will not affect performance. However, whenever a groove is created, there will be a small burr on the edges. You will want to stone those burrs out. It takes a serious amount of hand stoning to remove any significant amount of material so I wouldn't worry about changing the alignment or destroying the surface.

Subsurface imperfections will not affect performance. However, whenever a groove is created, there will be a small burr on the edges. You will want to stone those burrs out. It takes a serious amount of hand stoning to remove any significant amount of material so I wouldn't worry about changing the alignment or destroying the surface.
To be fair, I said does it need to be sent to a shop and surface ground. I said nothing about honing/deburring.

For comparison, here it my PM1236 tail stock. I just got it a month or so ago, and haven't even been able to use it yet due to buying a new home and moving everything. Soon...

The "scratches" on the bottom of the tailstock are supposed to be very light to create surface tension so the oil will have something to grab onto, otherwise it would just ooze out under the weight of the tailstock. I think? Normally they look like fish scales, guess this is the cheaper version. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3410.jpg
    IMG_3410.jpg
    750.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3411.jpg
    IMG_3411.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3412.jpg
    IMG_3412.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_3413.jpg
    IMG_3413.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3414.jpg
    IMG_3414.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_3415.jpg
    IMG_3415.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_3416.jpg
    IMG_3416.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 154
For comparison, here it my PM1236 tail stock. I just got it a month or so ago, and haven't even been able to use it yet due to buying a new home and moving everything. Soon...

The "scratches" on the bottom of the tailstock are supposed to be very light to create surface tension so the oil will have something to grab onto, otherwise it would just ooze out under the weight of the tailstock. I think? Normally they look like fish scales, guess this is the cheaper version. :)
Yours look acceptable to me. After looking at mine again, they are over 20 thou deep in spots. I will hone it and keep moving.

Look at everyone else’s posts here, then look at yours. Are you aware of what irony is? You are talking about having OCD on a website about precision equipment.
A couple buddies and I were talking about this.
We buy low priced equipment and expect it to be high quality.
You can't have it both ways.
The reason Precision Mathews is so well regarded in my opinion, is the good customer service. They are selling Chinese and Taiwan made machine tools.
The quality can be achieved if the workers are properly trained and spend the time required to produce a top quality machine. That takes time = money!
I am considering buying one of their Taiwan knee mills in a couple years.
It's too bad you are having this experience, it sucks in fact!!
Hopefully you will find resolution to your concerns.

A couple buddies and I were talking about this.
We buy low priced equipment and expect it to be high quality.
You can't have it both ways.
The reason Precision Mathews is so well regarded in my opinion, is the good customer service. They are selling Chinese and Taiwan made machine tools.
The quality can be achieved if the workers are properly trained and spend the time required to produce a top quality machine. That takes time = money!
I am considering buying one of their Taiwan knee mills in a couple years.
It's too bad you are having this experience, it sucks in fact!!
Hopefully you will find resolution to your concerns.
It’s not a negative experience once I learned a little bit. The reason I ask tech, or the forum is because I want the machine to last. I don’t have a lot of money, so when I see any problem, I try to fix it immediately. I can’t fix worn out ways, but I can stop them from wearing out and that’s all I want to do. Buy the Taiwanese mill if you want it to look good, not just function. That’s what I have been told.

Last edited:
My pm1236 tailstock put a deep scratch on the flat ways.
It's a bit of a blemish, but there's plenty of flat way surface for the carriage/tailstock to ride on, and it won't
hurt anything. I'd run a flat item (maybe a tool blank) over it to see if there's any burr or
embedded grit. If not ... get on to the next project.

Back