Surface Grinder - what's an idiot to do?

I’d stay away from eBay for a grinder. Auctions, CL, I would try as local as possible.

There is a 8x18 matsui in an auction, if i can snag it cheap, i'll end up getting that. I think you're right.

I know where a 618 Micromaster currently resides . If I get the time to hook up the VFD this spring I'll let it go under running conditions . Right now , it's taking up valuable space in the garage .
Get that baby running Dave.

One of the things you need to remember when looking at a used surface grinder is the oiling system.
Here you are, looking at this old machine that may be worn out or in good shape.
The hydraulic system needs to run long enough to distribute lubrication throughout the tool.
If it's been sitting for a while - years,
The Bijur metering valves could be plugged or partially restricted.
Be careful, you wouldn't want to be dragging the table along dry dirty ways.
When I got mine to the shop, I took it down to clean and inspect, replaced all the Bijur fittings, drained the oil (15 gallons) replaced the filters, wiped the reservoir down and refilled the reservoir.
Then I turned it on and ran it for 5-10 minutes then inspected all the ports to verify I had proper flow.
Just saying,

One of the things you need to remember when looking at a used surface grinder is the oiling system.
Here you are, looking at this old machine that may be worn out or in good shape.
The hydraulic system needs to run long enough to distribute lubrication throughout the tool.
If it's been sitting for a while - years,
The Bijur metering valves could be plugged or partially restricted.
Be careful, you wouldn't want to be dragging the table along dry dirty ways.
When I got mine to the shop, I took it down to clean and inspect, replaced all the Bijur fittings, drained the oil (15 gallons) replaced the filters, wiped the reservoir down and refilled the reservoir.
Then I turned it on and ran it for 5-10 minutes then inspected all the ports to verify I had proper flow.
Just saying,

I think this is a great note, i think the Tormach might just be the solution, it comes with the fixin's i want, and should be able to perform the functions i'm after. It's a bit spendy, but i think it puts me in a zone where i can learn, and grow as a maker. Time to figure out if the juice is worth the squeeze with that machine. I'm not going to be running it two shifts a day for the rest of it's life, so i don't think i'd run the machine out of life - maybe theres a thread here with good information on it.

One of the things that comes with the deluxe package is 5c collets - this is for finish grinding cylindrical parts I'm assuming?

Back