Surface Grinder - what's an idiot to do?

What a thread, loved the read. Also, those results at the end, TO DIE FOR. I think I should just find someone that might be able to advise me, and take with me. I'll start machinist mingle right now LOL

I lucked out. I had a chance to move the table and spindle but didn’t hear it run.
It could have been an expensive venture but as I say, I got lucky.
My research said that the ways and and the spindle are the critical elements.
Folks here with more experience than me were very helpful in guiding my purchase.
Maybe there’s someone here that’s local to you?

Are there not a few high(er) end belt grinders with decent surface grinding attachments for blade smiths?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One company just came out with one where the chuck can be shut off - but you'd still have the same issue of width being around 2". Which is frustrating, and then being able to achieve tolerances that would allow folders to be made well (which eventually i'd like to do).

I lucked out. I had a chance to move the table and spindle but didn’t hear it run.
It could have been an expensive venture but as I say, I got lucky.
My research said that the ways and and the spindle are the critical elements.
Folks here with more experience than me were very helpful in guiding my purchase.
Maybe there’s someone here that’s local to you?

I'd like to find someone, as a mill won't be longer after. It seems PM or other brands might have something to offer new though that won't need as much fuss.

I’ve been looking for a surface grinder also, and equally concerned about buying a heavily used machine where the express purpose of the purchase is to produce precision results. I wonder if you have considered a new Tormach surface grinder? The more I look at used, the less risky this alternative seems. But what do I know?

I’ve been looking for a surface grinder also, and equally concerned about buying a heavily used machine where the express purpose of the purchase is to produce precision results. I wonder if you have considered a new Tormach surface grinder? The more I look at used, the less risky this alternative seems. But what do I know?

Gee that seems like a steal compared to the Grizzly.

Well, the Tormach is smaller capacity than the Grizzly, but the OP was originally looking at a 6x12 - same size as Tormach. I haven’t done the deep dive into the Tormach, maybe the ways are crap, or who knows what. But on the surface, for $4k, if you’ve got the bread, why risk a clapped-out B&S or whatever?

I know where a 618 Micromaster currently resides . If I get the time to hook up the VFD this spring I'll let it go under running conditions . Right now , it's taking up valuable space in the garage .

Well, the Tormach is smaller capacity than the Grizzly, but the OP was originally looking at a 6x12 - same size as Tormach. I haven’t done the deep dive into the Tormach, maybe the ways are crap, or who knows what. But on the surface, for $4k, if you’ve got the bread, why risk a clapped-out B&S or whatever?

The Harig i looked at was a 6x18, the 12 inch length does seem like a stretch. I have looked at that machine extensively though, was hoping maybe someone here had some feedback on if new it was worth it. I'd love to find a seller on ebay with one at a discounted price.

I know where a 618 Micromaster currently resides . If I get the time to hook up the VFD this spring I'll let it go under running conditions . Right now , it's taking up valuable space in the garage .

Sounds like a good deal for someone in Maryland :D

Back