Superfly Cutter

Here's another test:
Put a dial indicator on the head or quill and bring it in to contact with the top of a parallel in the vise.

Now... push back hard on the head. Is the indicator moving? Do the same thing on the table. Push on the long axis. Pull it, push it, twist it, move the head side to side.

If the needle is moving much with a good shove, there's the primary reason for the surface finish issue.

Spumco. I will try tomorrow and post back. I should've mentioned this was a scrap piece of 4140. I will try aluminum tomorrow.
Dan, it is a 2000 Grizzly g1004.

4140, that explains it. The insert you showed at the beginning post is for aluminum, not steel. The steel inserts are TiN coated and have a honed edge with a bit of a radius.

And the appropriate - theoretically - F&S for steel is about 800RPM, 3.5IPM for a 0.020" DOC and 2" WOC. Gives about 470SFM. At 1400RPM you're at 750SFM - way above the recommended speed.

Having said that, I have a larger, heavier, stiffer mill than you do (about like a Tormach 1100), and I can't get the superfly to cut well in steel. It chatters and looks like your surface.

I've moved to a 5-flute insert mill and it works much better - less bouncing around. Yes, it's probably less efficient, in theory, than the superfly (according to Tormach), but leave a glass surface. I've reserved the superfly for aluminum only on my machine.

Some un-coated inserts are for steels. It all depends on the grade and style.

I may try again in a different material today.
The insert is coated. It is Kenametal with a KCPK30 coating. Supposed to be used dry so I don't think that was the problem. It also has a T-Land edge. I tried another that had a honed T-Land edge with no difference. The radius is .039". I did try 900 rpm, appeared to be no difference. I agree I think it is a rigidity issue.
  • KCPK30
  • A multilayered TiN-TiCN-Al2O3-CVD-coated carbide grade with advanced Beyond™ post-coat treatment and a very tough substrate. KCPK30 has a wide application area in general and rough milling of steels and cast irons. It performs best dry but can also be used we

Some un-coated inserts are for steels. It all depends on the grade and style.
One of the grades I have is a k68, x83, x45 and the KCPK 30. They must be manufacturer specific. I could spend all day researching but then I'd never get anything done.

One of the grades I have is a k68, x83, x45 and the KCPK 30. They must be manufacturer specific. I could spend all day researching but then I'd never get anything done.
Grades are brand specific.

Take a picture of the back of the pack and post it.

ugh, kennametal's website is a steaming pile of crap, it never works, and they never provide clear material or cutting parameters.

from the picture it looks like it has either a blunt edge or a wide land. both require a powerful and rigid machine to get a nice finish.

Do you have any like this? This is the type your machine would need for alluminum.
https://www.maritool.com/Indexable-...110/p17209/SEHT1204AFFN-X83/product_info.html

Thats what I'm using here to make this cut in 7075-t6

Back